Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

What is going on with my Fusion's gas mileage?

gas mileage gauge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iamluke33

iamluke33

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:44 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid 6 days ago.

First of all, I filled the tank for the first time today. It had 22 miles to empty, so I figured it would need about 13.5 gallons, since it's a 14 gallon tank right? The gas pump wouldn't let me put more than 10 gallons in. Is it a 10 gallon tank or 14? After I put the gas in the fuel gauge showed that the tank was full to the brim. It showed 466 miles to empty. Is that average?

Second of all, I drove 111 miles of highway tonight and the car said I was doing 40mpg average, however the fuel gauge went from full to half empty. (I did not reset the mpg average before the 111 mile drive, but it read 43 mpg avg beforehand). Anyway at the beginning of my drive it said 441 to empty, when I arrived it was 293 to empty. That's 148 miles of fuel for a 111 mile drive.

Why can I only put 10 gallons in my car?

Why does it show 40mpg average when it appears that I used 7 gallons (half a tank) for 111 miles?

Am I missing something?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,784 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:27 AM

The miles to empty ( distance to empty DTE ) is an algorithm based on past and current driving. Drive it for a while. What did the fuel gauge say when the miles to empty said 22? There's 1-2 gallons left when DTE is zero. Uneven ground at the fuel pump can cause incomplete filling.

#3 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,464 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:34 AM

It has a 13.5 gallon tank.  The Energi has a 14 gallon tank.  They are both in the same owner's manual.

What speed were you driving?  Air drag increases with the square of the speed.

Are your tires at the proper pressure?

Were you going uphill?

The car doesn't know how you are going to drive it.  It can only estimate based on previous trips.

The tank is not empty when the gauge says it is empty.  There could be up to 3 gallons more to go.  Most cars do that to protect you from running out of gas.

#4 OFFLINE   iamluke33

iamluke33

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

The miles to empty ( distance to empty DTE ) is an algorithm based on past and current driving. Drive it for a while. What did the fuel gauge say when the miles to empty said 22? There's 1-2 gallons left when DTE is zero. Uneven ground at the fuel pump can cause incomplete filling.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Good to know. Actually I hadn't checked the fuel gauge when I filled up. I assumed it was almost empty since it said 22 miles to empty. 

#5 OFFLINE   iamluke33

iamluke33

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

It has a 13.5 gallon tank.  The Energi has a 14 gallon tank.  They are both in the same owner's manual.

What speed were you driving?  Air drag increases with the square of the speed.

Are your tires at the proper pressure?

Were you going uphill?

The car doesn't know how you are going to drive it.  It can only estimate based on previous trips.

The tank is not empty when the gauge says it is empty.  There could be up to 3 gallons more to go.  Most cars do that to protect you from running out of gas.

Thanks for the reply. Was driving 70mph for 111 miles, all highway. It was the 5 from LA to San Diego, there are some gradual inclines and declines but nothing major.

Haven't checked tire pressure but I will today.

I don't understand why it would say that I was 148 miles to empty after driving 111 miles.

#6 OFFLINE   Larry Twitchell

Larry Twitchell

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 28 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

Temperature, weather, wind, tire pressure and other factors have significant impact on mpg. I just completed a 1500 mi. trip from NH to FL in varying conditions. Left with temps below freezing, snowing, car loaded and two heavy bikes on back. First tank was 38 mpg. Weather improved and speed went up to 75 and mileage down to 28 on one tank when it was also windy. The bikes were like a huge sail on the back! Now, with temps in the 70s, mpg is back to normal.

Give yourself a chance to get used to the differences in this car and youll find yourself enjoying and marveling at what a great car you have. Hope you have many happy years with it.
409779.png

#7 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,784 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

I strapped a 5 ft. long antique "deacons" bench on top of my 2010 FFH for a highway trip. Mpg went from 40 to 30 but otherwise the car drove fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas, mileage, gauge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·