flydutch

trip computer over reports mpg

My 2017 FFH Titanium has been over-reporting MPG on the trip computer since I bought it new. I have kept a log of all fuel tanked and calculated mpg from that and the trip miles reported on the trip odo. The car consistently over-reports mpg economy by 2 to 5 mpg. I am wondering if this is typical or is there a calibration I need to make. Sorry if this topic has already been covered - please point to that, if so.

Thanks!

Pretty typical. My 2013 FFH after 63k miles varied from 1.2 to 4.5. My current vehicle, a 2017 Lincoln MKZ (the same hybrid power train) after 28k miles varies from 0.9 to 2.8.

I am not aware of any calibration adjustments available.

My 2015 FFH over-reports about 2 mpg pretty consistently.

All the FFHs since 2010 have computers that report mpg about 4% high. However, the odometers are about 2% low in mileage leaving a net 2% high or about 1 mpg.

I recorded my 2015 FFH fuel consumption in a spreadsheet for the first 25,000 miles and it over reported by 2.3 MPG. After that I quit tracking the results.

Common and frustrating for me ... my current FFH and the prior '15 both reported "generously" on the MPG. I track the differences, but my actual numbers are from the receipts. Just keep going the way you are.

I'm finding that on a tank just around town it's over reporting by about 0.5-1.0 mpg. On a long highway drive the over report is around 2 - 2.5 mpg.

Our FFH is my wife's car. Her previous car gave her 4 days on a 17 gallon tank. The FFH gives her two weeks on a 13 gallon tank, with a bit left over. If I do some errands with her car on weekends and top her off, she can go months without pumping gas. Nice.

No spreadsheets here. Just happiness.

We've found the car's computer reports mpg about 4% high but the odometers are about 2% low so the net is about 2% high or about 1 mpg.

We've found the car's computer reports mpg about 4% high but the odometers are about 2% low so the net is about 2% high or about 1 mpg.

I haven't found significant odometer variances in any of the 3 cars I've owned. On the other hand, the dash numbers in my 18 are currently about 4.9% higher than my Fuelly numbers.

Welp, in 34200+ miles the combined MPG from receipts is 38.38 and car reports average MPG for the same period as 44.3. My prior HyTi was 41.25 by receipts and I traded it with 38600+ miles just about 2 years ago.

I mentioned this large variance a couple times here and have talked with dealer folks. No one has any ideas as to why this is happening. There is no appreciable difference in driving style, destinations, roads traveled, speed, etc. So can you explain it ... and make me believe it? <small chuckle>

I mentioned this large variance a couple times here and have talked with dealer folks. No one has any ideas as to why this is happening. There is no appreciable difference in driving style, destinations, roads traveled, speed, etc. So can you explain it ... and make me believe it? <small chuckle>

Do you use remote start? The gas burned in that mode doesn't show up in your dash mpg. My 2012 had remote start and I noticed the effect when I used it in winter.

Remote only in Winter and then only if the temps are below zero. Am fullty aware that remote doesn't affect dash numbers. BUT it and other instances of idling do show up/affect the Fuel History in the right-hand screen ('17+ models).

If the odometer is off, then your speedometer is off. My speedometer is dead nuts on, but the computer is 3 mpg high. Is the computer based on ethanol free gas?

I never bothered to verify, but I can tell that the nearly 700 miles range on a tank was overly optimistic. It has gone down since to between 550 and 600 miles per tank, due to the high voltage battery going bad (less power, less electric range).

Usually I would drive 250 miles a day according to stride, but the car would show more like a 300 mile drop in range.