I successfully performed the SYNC 3 v2.3 update (UPDATE SYNC 3 v3.0 in addition April 2018) today (upgrading from the original v2.0).
I logged into owner.ford.com and was "steered" to download file JL1T-14G381-AJ.zip
I bought a 64GB USB stick off the shelf on Amazon for $17.86
[I tried for an hour to use my macOS machine. Then another hour with Parallels Desktop running Windows 10. Neither worked. I used a real PC with Windows 10 successfully]
- Inserted it into my PC USB.
- Open Windows File Explorer
- Find USB Drive (D: for me)
- Right click File Explorer and scan for viruses (yes factory USB's can have viruses).
- Right click on USB Drive (careful!) and select "Format.." - click through warnings and make sure exFAT/ExFat/ExFAT, etc.
- Find your download Zip file you downloaded from owner.ford.com. For the SYNC 3 v3.0 update for a FFH the file is "JR3T-14G381-AL.zip"
- Right Click and unzip to the USB drive (now empty and formatted exFAT). I selected my USB drive as the location.
Once you are done, File Explorer on the USB drive shows this (precisely):
System Volume Information [folder]
If you see any other files it very likely won't work. You might peek at the autoinstall.txt after copying it to your hard drive (don't want a ".bak" version opening up beside it on the USB drive.
When I looked at autoinstall.txt I found this line at the top (top is v2.3 from November 2017 and bottom is v3.0 from April 2018)
SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 2.3.10 - Only for MY 17 Nav/NA assemblies.
SYNC3 Consumer Assembly Upgrade - Release 3.0.13 - Only for Nav/NA assemblies.
Interesting.. Looks like the v2.3 update is specific to a 2017 vehicle and the 3.0.13 update is general.
Here are a few notes from my experience.
- I made sure to start the vehicle as directed and never turned it off until the end (when I let it sit for 5 minutes, after turning off the vehicle, opening/closing the door, and letting the display shut down).
- No macOS allowed. Even though I properly formatted the USB drive to ExFAT and loaded the unzipped files correctly, attempting to use the mac loaded USB stick in my vehicle failed immediately every time with this message:
Error Code: LST_ERR05
If error, please note code and contact
I believe the issue was SYNC 3 O/S "choking" on some hidden directories macOS places at the top level of any drive: (.Spotlight-V100 and .fseventsd). I then used Windows 10 to format the USB drive ExFAT and loaded the files without problem.
After loading the USB stick there was ZERO acknowledgement on the SYNC3 display of me inserting it.
I sat there for 10 minutes as nothing happened. The light on the stick pulsed - on for one second, then off for one second.
It was all I could do not to go crazy...
Then the pulse stopped and the light stayed on then off and on in non-regular fashion (good).
Suddenly, just as I was about to give up, at the top of the display this miraculously appeared:
Updating System Software...
This went on for 10 minutes or so and then I got
You may now remove your USB device.
Updates will take effect the next time
you start your vehicle
At the end of the day I have not noticed any difference between v2.0 and v2.3.
(I went from Build 16074_PRODUCT to 17109_PRODUCT)
The versions for Gracenote and Navigation Maps did NOT change (?)
The value before and after are shown here:
Gracenote Version: 188.8.131.526 (NA-0010).
Navigation Maps Version: NA 1 15
I have seen on the sister forum for SYNC 3 that people are seeing different Gracenote data (album cover art and track names.). Ford is pestering me (in emails) to upload the "log file" which is placed on the USB drive at the end and formally let them know I did the update.
Edited by stlouisgeorge, 07 April 2018 - 01:04 PM.