I bought a new 2015 FFH. I drive about 1000 miles per week in my sales position. Recently the gas engine makes a very loud whining noise when it switches from electric to gas. I was told by the dealer that the bearing is going bad in the starter and that eventually it will disintegrate and destroy the transmission. If so, this will be the last FORD I purchase. This sounds like a design flaw to me. I bought the car to save on gas and get 400K miles out of it as I was told it would do.

Is there any resolve or help from FORD on this?

Unhappy,

David

A hybrid engine doesn't have a starter motor or an alternator for that matter. Find a better dealer, preferably one that is electric certified.

One of the electric drive motors is used to start the engine.

How many miles do you have on the car? I'm very surprised that a Dealer/Salesman said the car would last 400k miles and you would think any car would last 400k miles, possible, but not likely. :drop:

Paul

Murphy-That was what the tech said. It is the "starter" that starts the gas engine when power/ etc calls for gas vs electric. I dont think he meant starter in the traditional sense. However, is this motor buried with in the tranny?

Paul- As for lasting 400k toyotas routinely last that many miles. I have 118K miles on it. My 07 500 has 250K on it.

David

There are two motors in the eCVT transmission. One of them is used to start the engine. I have never heard anyone call it a starter motor before. It is part of the drive train and is used for electric propulsion. Starting the engine is a side job.

The motor/generator is buried in and part of the transmission. It is connected to the "sun" gear of a planetary gear and controls the torque sharing of the ICE and electric motors. It operates as a motor or a generator turning in either direction and it's major role as a motor in starting the ICE. The whole transmission is covered for 8 yrs. or 100K miles. Early second generation 2013 and 14 fusions have had transmission problems but this is the first 2015 I've heard of. Get Ford to fix it.