md13ffhguy

So, I need a new transmission.

Same thing here!!!!! Maybe we should start some type of transmission recall or investigation.

This is my post to Ford:

Hello everyone. I have a 2014 Ford fusion hybrid titanium edition. I’ve gone to the same dealer that I purchased it from for all oil changes and service and tires. I Bought my car from Pratchett’s Ford, then Price Ford bought them up.

I have 152,000 miles on that car which is 2 1/2 years old. Yes, it’s a lot but it’s my commute car. I drive 160 miles a day for work. I have always maintained my car through Price Ford. I get green check marks all the time. It was just serviced a couple months ago. I passed with all green checks.

Last weekend my hubby pointed out a noise. I thought alignment. He said more like rear wheel bearings that failed. We dropped off the car and mentioned the noise, BUT not what we thought. I received a call later telling us that my car needed new rear wheel bearings. The cost was about $750.00. I said go ahead, please change them. 3 days later I called to check status. My service advisor Curtis said they changed them. But it didn’t help with the noise. He said I need a brand new transmission on my hybrid. I was shocked. He also said it would be about $7,000.00. Please keep in mind, I still have my ORIGINAL brake pads and my average speed daily is 55-50 MPH.

I know what a bad tranny sounds like and how it moves. My previous vehicles I had one replaced. There are a handful of articles on the Internet about 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid tranny going out. Honestly, it’s very rare. Cutis also said he has never seen a hybrid come in for a new tranny.

I called Ford customer service and basically, they said sorry we can’t help you.

I feel Ford should be responsible for:

1. the cost of the repair or

2. the buyback program for my car.

I’ve looked on the BBB regarding the auto line for Ford and if this doesn’t get resolved between Ford and I I’m going to go that route.

My extended warranty ended at 125,000 miles. I was told when I purchased the car from Patchett's to upgrade to the highest miles package. I did. I was never notified by Ford that my warranty was coming to an end. The many cars I’ve had a most professional dealership and or manufactures will notify the customer of the warranty ending and offer an extension. I never received or was told anything.

Im wondering if this is correct.

please give me any info you can. My Ford dealer says that when my transmission with hooked up for diagnostic code it came up clear no codes!,, But they are still forcing me to believe them saying I need a new transmission. They will not even disassemble the front part of the tranny to see if its a bearing because they said there is no parts to fix my tranny. Only replace with new tranny.

This is true, this should be covered by Hybrid Warranty 8yr/100k mi. :) I don't think anyone got a code on their Trans when replacing it, I didn't. It was the noise factor that was the problem, trans is quite when running appropriately.

Paul

So... I continued to drive this car for another 7 months after I first noticed signs of a failing transmission, and 6+ months and 16k miles after being told it needed to be replaced. Oddly, it never really seemed to get any worse, from a noise standpoint, however, the mileage continued to suffer. I started getting the feeling that I should do something about the problem soon, but I just couldn't bring myself to put thousands into a car with 118k miles. So, I took the hit and traded it in on an '18 FFH SE. Yes, I'm still upset about how it went with my '13. I truly believe I should have received better service and support. My dealer's service department failed me. Ford didn't really offer any significant help. In the end, I still think it was a very good car, with one majorly flawed part. So now I'll have owned the bookends of this generation of FFHs. Here's to hoping the last chapter is much better than the first!

I think the transmission problem was only on the 2013-14 but I get your point.

I'm curious what they gave you...if you don't mind us asking...

What did I get for a car with 118k miles, an obviously bad transmission, and a few dings I'd rather not talk about? Not much. Enough to get me out of it, though. Like I said, I took the hit. It just made sense. Look, I had wanted to get 200k+ out of this car, but it wasn't going to happen without a significant investment, which I want willing to make.

md13ffhguy,

you must be a glutton for punishment

Well, up until I first noticed the whining of the transmission around 98k, I always said it was the best car I ever owned. I'm willing to give it another go. I still think it's a good car. Nothing else out there won me over.

How does your gas mileage compare to your old one? How many miles do you have on your New One? :) Did you get the Michelin Energy Saver's?

Paul

How does your gas mileage compare to your old one? How many miles do you have on your New One? :) Did you get the Michelin Energy Saver's?

Paul

I'll start a new thread soon to discuss my initial impressions of the 18. I only have 300 miles, so still getting used to it. Thanks for asking!

The new Toyota Camry and Honda Accord Hybrids are far better cars and the Accord is amazing. Buying one for my Son...no longer buying Ford's.

The new Toyota Camry and Honda Accord Hybrids are far better cars and the Accord is amazing. Buying one for my Son...no longer buying Ford's.

Meh. Didn't want one of those.

Hi everybody,

I know I am gravedigging an older thread, but wanted to report that I am having the same issue and would love your help/advice... I have a 2013 FFH with 85k miles on it and heard the exact same loud whining that other owners reported as well. I took it into my dealer who explained that it was in fact NOT covered by warranty. They confirmed that it was a transmission issue, but said it was a specific bearing (TSB 20-2219) that Ford classified as a "mechanical" part of the transmission, thus not covered by the 8 year, 100,000 mile "hybrid" component coverage. I was a little surprised because the language in the warranty guide only mentions "hybrid continuously variable transmission" but does not have any specifics about mechanical pieces of the transmission that are not covered. (pasting the language from the warranty guide below)

(4) Your vehicle’s unique hybrid / electric components are covered during the Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. • The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission

So, I would love your advice on how to handle, because I certainly can't justify spending $6k on this car for a new transmission. The dealer actually told me that it might dhave a different outcome dealer-to-dealer, and that if I went a town over they might have replaced the whole thing since it was simply a transmission problem. Is this true?? Should I try to take it elsewhere and see if that is true, or do dealers share VIN information between dealerships?

Thanks all :) 

CFC 

4 hours ago, cfc26play said:

Hi everybody,

I know I am gravedigging an older thread, but wanted to report that I am having the same issue and would love your help/advice... I have a 2013 FFH with 85k miles on it and heard the exact same loud whining that other owners reported as well. I took it into my dealer who explained that it was in fact NOT covered by warranty. They confirmed that it was a transmission issue, but said it was a specific bearing (TSB 20-2219) that Ford classified as a "mechanical" part of the transmission, thus not covered by the 8 year, 100,000 mile "hybrid" component coverage. I was a little surprised because the language in the warranty guide only mentions "hybrid continuously variable transmission" but does not have any specifics about mechanical pieces of the transmission that are not covered. (pasting the language from the warranty guide below)

(4) Your vehicle’s unique hybrid / electric components are covered during the Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. • The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission

So, I would love your advice on how to handle, because I certainly can't justify spending $6k on this car for a new transmission. The dealer actually told me that it might dhave a different outcome dealer-to-dealer, and that if I went a town over they might have replaced the whole thing since it was simply a transmission problem. Is this true?? Should I try to take it elsewhere and see if that is true, or do dealers share VIN information between dealerships?

Thanks all ?

CFC 

I wouldn't accept that. Make it the dealer's problem and threaten to sue them for not honoring the warranty.

5 hours ago, cfc26play said:

Hi everybody,

Thanks all ?

CFC 

IMO, if there are other dealers close by, try them first.

I would be hesitant to go back to a dealer who's unwilling to work on it for whatever reason.

You could also try calling Ford directly and see if they can help.

2 hours ago, mwr said:

I wouldn't accept that. Make it the dealer's problem and threaten to sue them for not honoring the warranty.

Haha, I wish I had your bravery... I am not great with direct confrontation so that would be a tough one. I think my next step will be going to another dealer and seeing if I have any luck there - do you have any idea on if dealerships share info (i.e., would they know I was just at a place last week?)

Thank you!

1 hour ago, 2014FordFusionSE said:

I would be hesitant to go back to a dealer who's unwilling to work on it for whatever reason.

I'm thinking this is what I'll do next. I can see if they're any more willing to work with me, as it sounds like other people on this forum likely had the same problem, but were able to get it fixed... what a huge bummer if they don't honor it. Contacting Ford directly also seems like a good option. I appreciate the response!

CFC

See if there's another dealer nearby that has performed this work previously. Less likely it would get messed up and more likely to understand the implications of the warranty.

On 7/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, mwr said:

On 7/19/2020 at 4:52 PM, 2014FordFusionSE said:

On 7/20/2020 at 10:58 AM, kuzzi said:

See if there's another dealer nearby that has performed this work previously. Less likely it would get messed up and more likely to understand the implications of the warranty.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:41 AM, lolder said:

That's BS ! Tell them you're going to burn the shop down with them in it.

Hey everyone,

Great news to share! I took your collective advice and brought my 2013 FFH to a different dealer, and 45 minutes after dropping it off they confirmed the issue and told me it was covered by warranty. All in all it took just under a week for them to get the parts in and make the repair, and I have my car back with a $0 bill (Ford even covered the initial diagnostic cost). For anyone in the future who might struggle with this, please please take your car to multiple dealerships if the first one says no! It worked for me and I really hope it works for you too!

Thank you all,

CFC

1 hour ago, cfc26play said:

Hey everyone,

Great news to share! I took your collective advice and brought my 2013 FFH to a different dealer, and 45 minutes after dropping it off they confirmed the issue and told me it was covered by warranty. All in all it took just under a week for them to get the parts in and make the repair, and I have my car back with a $0 bill (Ford even covered the initial diagnostic cost). For anyone in the future who might struggle with this, please please take your car to multiple dealerships if the first one says no! It worked for me and I really hope it works for you too!

Thank you all,

CFC

Great news! Glad it worked out for you.

My general mantra is that if something doesn't seem right, call around.