md13ffhguy

So, I need a new transmission.

2013 with 102k miles... Yes, 2k over the warranty on the transmission. Seems to be similar to what was described in this thread:

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9717-loud-whine/page-1

The only potential good part of the story is that I had it in at the dealer for a recall at 99k miles at the end of July, and also told them that I had begun to hear a noise from the transmission that was very subtle, but definitely not right to my ears. They checked it out and said it was nothing - said everything was normal. I knew it wasn't. It got progressively louder through August. Took it in again this morning, took a ride with a tech, and of course, yeah, there's some issue with a bearing... Needs a new transmission. They did note that I had it in before the warranty expired, and said they'd check with Ford to see what can be done.

Stay tuned.

Since you told them about the problem while in warranty, I wouldn't take "out of warranty" for an answer.

Good luck on the trans, I had mine replaced at 98k mi. I knew the trans was going to go bad because I was monitoring Trans Fluid temps and it was going up and the Dealer said they couldn't do anything about it until it failed. So I spent $2,500 to extend my warranty to 132k mi. and as it turned out I didn't need it, but at least I didn't have to worry about. it. :) I have 66k mi. on the new one so far. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Since you told them about the problem while in warranty, I wouldn't take "out of warranty" for an answer.

Yes, I plan to stand my ground on this.

Good luck on the trans, I had mine replaced at 98k mi. I knew the trans was going to go bad because I was monitoring Trans Fluid temps and it was going up and the Dealer said they couldn't do anything about it until it failed. So I spent $2,500 to extend my warranty to 132k mi. and as it turned out I didn't need it, but at least I didn't have to worry about. it. :) I have 66k mi. on the new one so far. :)

Paul

Thanks. When I called the dealer yesterday, my service advisor said he wanted a "transmission guy" to ride with me to hear the problem. Before I left (and after he told me I'd need a new transmission), he mentioned that he wished he'd had one of those guys check it out when I was there a month ago...

Looking at some of the Ford Technical bulletins, I am wondering if I am unlikely to run into transmissions problems, since mine was built in June 2014. The original bulletin covered cars built through January 2013, but then I see a revised bulletin that included cars built into 2015.

Does anyone know when Ford finally fixed the CVT problem?

The best way to test the trans is to put it up on a rack and have someone in the car speeding up and then letting off the throttle. You can hear the rattling in the gears.

Paul

Looking at some of the Ford Technical bulletins, I am wondering if I am unlikely to run into transmissions problems, since mine was built in June 2014. The original bulletin covered cars built through January 2013, but then I see a revised bulletin that included cars built into 2015.

Does anyone know when Ford finally fixed the CVT problem?

No! Ford has been completely silent about which cars may be affected. If there's a date on the revised bulletin out to 2015 you'll have to assume the problem may occur on any car built before then. It's not a driving safety issue so they won't issue a recall. They're waiting for the warranties to expire so then the owner will be on the hook.

These Japanese Aisin "type" transmissions that Ford brought the manufacture of in-house for the 2013+ models should last a very long time as there's little to wear in them. Pre 2013 transmission failures are very rare as are Toyota hybrid transmissions. In 50 years you ought to be able to salvage a perfectly serviceable hybrid transmission from the unrecognizable rusty hulk of most Ford/Toyota hybrids. Ford screwed up big time. They probably tried to save $3 on a bearing from an Asian supplier.

Edited by lolder

Someone was suggesting that it was a heat treating problem which makes it very difficult to determine which ones are going to fail. Some failed at 25K mi and others over a 100k mi., also high % of HWY driving seems to have higher % of Trans failures. ;(

Paul

Another factor maybe that the energi has an electric pump for trans lubrication and cooling and the regular hybrid does not, it only lubes and cools when the engine is running.

Another factor maybe that the energi has an electric pump for trans lubrication and cooling and the regular hybrid does not, it only lubes and cools when the engine is running.

That is true, they do have the same Trans Cooler and the highest temps I have seen has been 203*F with Center and lower Grill Covers on and OT at 100*F. From what I have seen the TF temp. verys with OT. Removing lower Grill Cover will lower TF temps by 5-10*F and WT by 10-15*F. There has to be some transfer of heat from ICE to Trans, but it doesn't seem like much.

Paul

It's been over a week, and no word from the dealer, so I called today to check. Service advisor said the Ford people he talks to about warranty are in Florida, so Irma... Well, I hope they're all ok! My car can wait, at least a little while. The noise gets rougher and louder. I only hope it continues to get me where I'm going.

It's been over a week, and no word from the dealer, so I called today to check. Service advisor said the Ford people he talks to about warranty are in Florida, so Irma... Well, I hope they're all ok! My car can wait, at least a little while. The noise gets rougher and louder. I only hope it continues to get me where I'm going.

I haven't heard of anyone actually have a trans stop working. I went around a 1k mi. before I had mine fixed. :)

Paul

3 weeks and I still know nothing more than my first post in this thread. First Irma (understandable delay), and now due to some sort of miscommunication between the dealer and Ford warranty, Ford had apparently closed my case with no action. I talked with my service advisor yesterday, and they are either re-opening the case or opening a new case. I've been promised a call once they know something. In the end, Ford needs to make a warranty replacement happen. I have my documentation that shows I brought it in for transmission noise prior to 99k miles. Meanwhile, the drone gets louder and more awful sounding as my mileage climbs closer to 104k...

UPDATE:

My service advisor called about 15 minutes ago and informed me that Ford has offered to pay $1,650 towards the repair, leaving me with a balance of $5,410!!! I expressed my dissatisfaction with this offer. I firmly believe this transmission should be replaced under warranty. I spoke with Ford Customer Service and was told that since my dealer was unable to duplicate the problem (in reality, they were unable or unwilling to hear it), Ford does not recognize this as a problem that occurred under warranty. Ford CS said this issue is between me and my dealer. I called my service advisor back and he is bringing it to the attention of their service manager. More to come....

I don't like the way this is going, you have to pay because the Service Department isn't very good. They obviously never had one fail before. ;( Shows the importance of having a good CMAX/FFH maintenance Dealer.

Paul

Well, it almost feels like someone is conspiring against me.

So, after not hearing anything from the dealer after almost another week, I decided to stop by to see if I could get some information. The first thing I learned was that my service advisor had been "let go." So now I’ve lost the only point-of-contact who had first hand knowledge of my previous visits!! I did speak with the service manager, who said she would pull all the documentation and look into what they might be able to do for me. She promised to get back to me later today.

:sos:

P.S. Does $7,000+ for a new transmission even sound close to reasonable??? :drop:

I'm thinking kind of high and I would shop around with Dealers that have done several transmissions. I would take your paperwork to experienced Dealers to see if you can get FORD to pay for it. Retail for new trans is about $5k and it is a big job to replace. I'm guessing Dealer pays $3,500 and 3-4 days of labor. They have to remove ICE/Trans together out of the car and I have a picture of mine out of the car. ;( I would go with a Dealer with plenty of experience to work on your car, people have had problems.tn_gallery_143_17_239195.jpeg

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Yeah, I don't think going to another dealer with a car that's now definitely out of warranty is going to buy me anything. I'm fairly certain the answer from Ford would also be the same, since they already have a case open with my VIN.

md13ffhguy keep us posted on your progress, we are hoping for the best. :)

Paul

Set the car on fire, jam the accelerator down, aim it at the dealers showroom, select "drive" and jump out.

Ford has known about these transmission failures for years as have all of us on this forum.

Edited by lolder

Set the car on fire, jam the accelerator down, aim it at the dealers showroom, select "drive" and jump out.

Ford has known about these transmission failures for years as have all of us on this forum.

I wish I could pull that off, lolder, without anyone getting hurt, of course! My dealer, Koons Ford of Baltimore, has totally screwed me. No one cares that I had this vehicle in with a complaint of transmission noise prior to warranty expiration! So what if I'm back 4 weeks later and they confirm the issue?! Evidently, in the perfect little world controlled by Ford and the dealer, my transmission was perfectly fine one month, and suddenly condemned to death just a short time later! Over warranty? Oops, sorry customer! Yes, we're happy you bought two of these from us... hope the other one makes it to 100k!

So, Koons Ford of Baltimore, you're off the hook. Thanks for nothing. No way am I putting $6,000 into a car you recently offered me $6,500 for on trade. It's funny that the offer was made after your service department had already condemned my transmission, and yet your appraiser didn't even note any issues. Still, I'm happy (and amused) to have walked away from that offer. Don't yet know what I'm doing, but... Thanks for nothing!

Oh, and the offer of a $1,650 contribution from Ford? I expected a real contribution. Silly me. Keep it.

I hope you have paperwork on all of this, not all FORD Dealers are same. ;( Good Luck. I wonder if anyone is rebuilding these yet.

Paul

Probably a little late but in my experience a report to the local BBB does wonders to major companies.