mwr

New tires, less gas mileage?

I recently replaced the worn tires on my 2015 FFH with exactly the same tires (Michelin Energy Saver A/S - P225/50R17 93V). I immediately noticed a drop in gas mileage of 2 mpg or more. Have others noticed this?

Remembering back a bit, my gas mileage used to be more like what I'm getting now, but in the last year (less?) my gas mileage increased by 2 mpg or more. Therefore it makes perfect sense that after installing new tires, the mileage would drop back to its "old" numbers.

Mwr, please give another update after you accumulate 500+ miles on your new Michelin tires. I am not far behind you in needing new tires for my 2015. I have been very happy with the original Michelin tires.

On my third set of Michelin's and I didn't notice much difference, at one mile per gallon difference it would be hard to know for sure. I have read that less tread = better MPG's, less resistance and you would be going slightly slower, less drag. What about tire pressure?

Paul

OMG, please don't start proselytizing about 50 psi again...

On my 2013 and my wife's 2014, we replaced the original Michelin tires at 87k and 86k. Great tires. She's now running with Continental PureContacts and I'm back with Michelin OEM replacements. More on that later.