Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

New tires, less gas mileage?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 631 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

I recently replaced the worn tires on my 2015 FFH with exactly the same tires (Michelin Energy Saver A/S - P225/50R17 93V). I immediately noticed a drop in gas mileage of 2 mpg or more. Have others noticed this?

Remembering back a bit, my gas mileage used to be more like what I'm getting now, but in the last year (less?) my gas mileage increased by 2 mpg or more. Therefore it makes perfect sense that after installing new tires, the mileage would drop back to its "old" numbers.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,439 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:36 AM

It takes about 500 miles to break in a new set of tires.

https://www.tirerack...ge.jsp?techid=5

#3 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 941 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

I recently replaced the worn tires on my 2015 FFH with exactly the same tires (Michelin Energy Saver A/S - P225/50R17 93V). I immediately noticed a drop in gas mileage of 2 mpg or more. Have others noticed this?

Remembering back a bit, my gas mileage used to be more like what I'm getting now, but in the last year (less?) my gas mileage increased by 2 mpg or more. Therefore it makes perfect sense that after installing new tires, the mileage would drop back to its "old" numbers.

Mwr, please give another update after you accumulate 500+ miles on your new Michelin tires. I am not far behind you in needing new tires for my 2015. I have been very happy with the original Michelin tires.

#4 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Mwr, please give another update after you accumulate 500+ miles on your new Michelin tires. I am not far behind you in needing new tires for my 2015. I have been very happy with the original Michelin tires.

I have 500 miles+ on the tires, but our weather has been very hot (100+) instead of moderate recently so the gas mileage has dropped because of all the AC use. I "get" that the tires need a 500 mile "break in" period, but I don't at all know that's the cause of lower gas mileage with the new tires. I'm going to guess that it's not, and that the lower mileage will continue until the tires are quite worn. As I said, my memory is that I got lower mileage (but still great) until fairly recently (the last year?) when it jumped up, only to drop back with the new tires.

#5 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 630 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

On my  third set of Michelin's and I didn't notice much difference, at one mile per gallon difference it would be hard to know for sure.  I have read that less tread = better MPG's, less resistance and you would be going slightly slower, less drag. What about tire pressure?

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#6 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

On my  third set of Michelin's and I didn't notice much difference, at one mile per gallon difference it would be hard to know for sure.  I have read that less tread = better MPG's, less resistance and you would be going slightly slower, less drag. What about tire pressure?

Paul

42 psi before and after the new tires.

• ptjones likes this

#7 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

Paul

OMG, please don't start proselytizing about 50 psi again...

244968.png

#8 OFFLINE   Timewellspent

Timewellspent

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 52 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

On my  third set of Michelin's

Paul

What is your total mileage?

409947.png

#9 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:00 AM

On my 2013 and my wife's 2014, we replaced the original Michelin tires at 87k and 86k. Great tires. She's now running with Continental PureContacts and I'm back with Michelin OEM replacements. More on that later.

244968.png

#10 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 630 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

What is your total mileage?

I currently have 164k miles on my car. A little info on Michelin OEM tires, they are warrantied for 55k mi., rated for 51 max psi cold and could stand up to around 200 psi. before exploding.  :) I actually called and talked to a Customer Support Rep., I explained that I was using 50psi and was getting even tire ware.  He said he would recommend 50psi cold tire pressure if I was getting even tire wear. :) Many members are using 48-51psi in their tires with no complaints. BTW my Michelin's weren't worn out at 64k mi., but I was going to be doing Winter driving and wanted to have as much tread as possible. Could have gone 5-10k mi. more anyways .

On my 2013 and my wife's 2014, we replaced the original Michelin tires at 87k and 86k. Great tires. She's now running with Continental PureContacts and I'm back with Michelin OEM replacements. More on that later.

What's the difference in gas mileage?

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·