usererror

Do Ford's store Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

Do Ford's store Diagnostic Trouble Codes if a warning light or message appears? And if it does, how can you read them out?

Prior to Ford I had a Cadillac that anytime any warning or message came up for an issue, the DTC was stored in the computer. I could read them out via series of button pushes or via my ODBII scan tool software on my laptop.

I have never hooked up my laptop to my 2015 FFH because I haven't had any codes, but our 2012 Ford Escape just gave an error regarding a tire pressure sensor. We're in the middle of moving so my laptop I use with the cars is packed until next week.

Thanks!

Assuming that an Escape works the same as a Fusion, you are in the Fusion Hybrid forum.

They can be read with an OBD II reader or the use of Engineering mode for critical codes.

The first thing I would do with a tire pressure warning is check the pressures in the tires.

How do you access "Engineering Mode" on the Fusion? - And would it help the poster in this thread?

Energi Engineering Test Mode

Hold the left OK button and start the car.

Watch the upper left corner of the left display for the letters ET to appear in yellow.

After the letters appear release the OK button.

Use the down arrow to scroll through the screens.

Press and hold the OK button or shut the car off to exit engineering test mode.

MFT Engineering Test Mode

Press and hold the Eject button and the >>| button.

I don't know if it would help in the other thread.

I know you can erase a code, but not sure if there is a code left behind or not. It seems to me there is nothing left behind. It is possible with some codes you can't operate the vehicle without removing the code. ;(

Paul

They can be read with an OBD II reader or the use of Engineering mode for critical codes.

Murphy, my 2015 FFH displayed the wrench warning light (power train fault) tonight while driving home. The car continued to drive normally and the warning, not surprisingly, went away after stopping and restarting the car. Later I used the Engineering Test Mode to look for DTCs and none were displayed.

You noted above that Engineering Test Mode can be used for "critical test codes". Does that mean there may be other (non-critical) codes stored that won't be displayed in Engineering Test Mode? I wondering if this is worth a service appointment at a dealer or should I wait until the light comes on again? I don't have an OBD reader.

If the problem is intermittent a few restarts can clear them. For best results at a dealer the wrench light needs to be on to be seen by the dealer. Many dealers don't have experts. They see a problem and then call the hotline for instructions on what to do next. I have been led to believe that if they don't see the problem in person then Ford won't pay them for the repair.

There are codes that are not displayed in engineering test mode. I disconnected the wiring to my parking lights while I was making a change and the car stored codes about incorrect voltages that did not show up in engineering test mode.

Do you use a block heater? There have been reports in the past that the unexpected heat from a block heater can cause the wrench to come on.

Do you use a block heater? There have been reports in the past that the unexpected heat from a block heater can cause the wrench to come on.

Thanks for your response. I have not used a block heater but was aware of that glitch. I suspect that any stored code was cleared when the car was restarted. The VHR also showed everything as normal but that was created after the restart. I'll wait for it to go on again and then drive to the service department while it is on.

Your local auto parts store will read the code for free. they will let you push the button to clear it. At least that's how it works in all the stores I have visited.

Your local auto parts store will read the code for free. they will let you push the button to clear it. At least that's how it works in all the stores I have visited.

That is good to know. But, I suspect that a Ford service department is going to need to see the code for themselves before they will perform the service work which might still be covered by the hybrid component warranty (8 years or 100,000 miles).