markd85

Awful noise coming from the engine

Don't confuse the transmission coolant with the transmission lubricant. There's the motor/electronics coolant ( MEC ) system and there's the transmission lubricant cooling system. In the plug-ins, there's an electric pump for the lubricant cooling system in addition to the ICE driven one. The hybrids don't have that and when they upped the max EV speed of the hybrids from 60 to 86 with software updates, it was surmised that there was lubricant overheat that contributed to the rash of failures. Nobody but Ford knows for sure. If there was a bearing manufacturing problem from a vendor, the vehicles affected should be known and may be in the thousands. We are continuing to see on this forum too many failures of these first Ford built transmissions as they age. Since they don't fail catastrophically and cause a safety issue no recall has been issued and Ford is just waiting out the 8/100,000 hybrid warranty. Sad ! !

I was a big advocate for these Ford hybrids since I got mine in July 09 but Ford's response to these 2013 transmission failures is ( put in your own word ).

It could be the case that Ford does not know which transmissions are going to fail even though they know what the reason is for the ones that do fail. Only a small percentage of 2013's have failed and even fewer 2014s. A recall to replace all transmissions that "might" fail seems over the top to me. Evidence on this forum strongly suggests that Ford has honored the transmission warranty when owner's have experienced a failure. PT's transmission was replaced under warranty and it was just under the 100,000 mile threshold if I remember correctly. I disagree with your accusation that Ford is waiting out the 8/100,000 warranty. You are basing that on speculation not facts.

Edited by Texasota

My 2010 manual doesn't mention it.

I found the 2010 FFH manual online and it does mention it:

TRANSMISSION FLUID

Checking electronically-controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (eCVT)

The eCVT does not have an underhood transmission fluid dipstick. Refer to your scheduled maintenance information for scheduled intervals for fluid checks and changes. Your transmission does not consume fluid. It is designed to be filled for life. However, the fluid level should be checked if the transmission is not working properly, or if you notice some sign of fluid leakage.

The above references the "scheduled maintenance information" which is a separate manual (also available online) and it states:

150,000 miles

Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (filter not required on 6F35). (Except vehicles equipped with the TorqShift transmission).

It appears that the requirement is the same (150,000 miles) as the 2013+ FFHs. However, the wording "designed to be filled for life" does introduce some ambiguity.

The transmission is covered under the manufacturers hybrid warranty for 8/100,000. What was the date of manufacture?

Edited by lolder

You don't need an extended warranty if your car is less than 8 years old and 100,000 miles. Maybe he was thinking of a non-hybrid powertrain warranty of 6/60,000. If you are within the hybrid time/mileage this shouldn't cost you a thing or incur the extended warranty and any deductible.

I know this thread is a few months old but I thought I would post on here since it was this forum that helped me identify an almost identical whine from my 2014 Fusion Hybrid. I have about 65k on my '14 Fusion Hybrid and for about the past 4-5 months it has had a whine that at first I thought it was the worn tires. I replaced all 4 about 2 months ago and the whine continued and actually got worse. It is the worst when coasting or decelerating but I can hear it when driving anywhere on the highway. I searched google for Fusion Whine and had a hit on this forum from 2015.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/9717-loud-whine/

The bottom line is that there is a known issue with some transmissions. TSB 14-0176 or TSB 14-0214 covers it and basically states that if the transmission exhibits the noise described in the TSB, replace it with a new unit. I took it to the dealer last Friday and they called on Saturday and verified that was the issue. Today, Ford approved the warranty fix which is a new transmission. They also gave me a rental which I didn't even know was allowed. The service advisor stated the parts alone were more than $7k and labor would bump that figure up significantly. I am really glad I bought the extended warranty. Not sure what I would be doing if I didn't have it. The noise I had was very similar to the noise in the recording on this thread.

Hope this helps.

Troy

Very happy for you!

Meanwhile, my dealer screwed me over.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/11981-so-i-need-a-new-transmission

Beware to others who may encounter a problem such as this; not all dealers are competent enough to help you.

Here's an update to the transmission failures thread. I have 2013 FFH. I winter in AZ from BC Canada. I tow the vehicle as per the RV towing procedure in the manual and have towed it back and forth 5 seasons now. The car has 65000 miles on it. The car started to make the knife sharpener noise while here down south and I took it AutoNation Ford in Scottsdale last week. The overzealous tech that reported the noise to the Ford hot line also told them I had a tow kit on the car. Ford cut and pasted the page from the manual that dealt with emergency towing, not bothering to turn to the next page that specifies the Ford procedure for being towed by an RV. They were trying to imply I had abused the car by towing it. They were trying to weasel out of warranty coverage because I didn't follow the emergency procedure - max 35mph for 50 miles?. The next section has the RV procedure - start ICE once before towing daily, run for 1 minute, max 70 mph. The 2018 manual now includes start once every 6 hours or less. The latest SB from Ford gets the dealer to tear down the tranny and the result of the inspection will either be replace just bearings or whole transmission. Still not 100% positive it will be warranty. Oh well, always wanted to learn about small claims court back home in Canada. Pretty hard to deny 5 years of owners manuals instructions in a court of law.

This was just an FYI for any other "toweds" that might have a similar experience.

I think it's about time to buy other makes of cars than Fords. We all know about these 2013-14 transmission failures and now it looks like they're trying to weasel out of warranty repairs. Sad.

I think it's about time to buy other makes of cars than Fords. We all know about these 2013-14 transmission failures and now it looks like they're trying to weasel out of warranty repairs. Sad.

Your continuous and never ending emotional posts regarding the transmission issue is inexplicable given that you don't even own a 2nd generation FFH. Get a grip.

There have been numerous posts regarding these transmissions failing and I am not aware of situations where Ford has not replaced it under warranty. Ford even replaced PTs when grill covers were used year round. In the latest issue of Consumer Reports the Ford Fusion (Hybrid and Energi not broken out separately) gets above average reliability grades and top marks for the transmission. If you want to get emotional over a car you don't own, then the transmission in the Ford Focus/Fiesta would be a much better choice for you.

Edited by Texasota