Sign in to follow this  
jcape122

2013 Fusion Titanium Main Battery Losing Charge

Since we bought our Titanium the battery mileage continues to drop -- from 20+ miles to now around 13 miles per charge. The Ford dealership says there is no problem with the battery on testing it, but that doesn't make sense. We own a Tesla as well and have never had this problem. Suggestions?

Since we bought our Titanium the battery mileage continues to drop -- from 20+ miles to now around 13 miles per charge. The Ford dealership says there is no problem with the battery on testing it, but that doesn't make sense. We own a Tesla as well and have never had this problem. Suggestions?

I assume you are talking about an Energi. The question makes no sense for a Hynrid.

Are you driving on the highway at high speed in EV Now mode? That will severely raise energy consumption which will cause the mileage estimate to drop. There is no way to measure the charge that is in a battery. They measure what is put in and what is taken out. The same thing happens to a Tesla. If you drive at high speed the energy consumption will go up and the actual miles that you can travel will go down. Drag increases with the square of the velocity (speed). An Energi will run in electric mode up to 85 mph but it is not a good idea to do that. I never take mine above 45 mph in electric mode. If I need to go faster I switch to EV Later mode or more likely I take the Tesla.

Edited by murphy

I think they may now be able to measure the voltage even under load to gauge battery charge level. If they know voltage and current output precisely they can measure the battery's internal impedance which is related to charge level.