Sign in to follow this  
Cobra348

TPMS sensors - anyone seen this issue?

I have two sets of rims for the car - also did the same on the '15 HyTi I had previously. OEM rims + Winter/snow tires and 17" Verde Regency rims+OEM tread for non-Winter. The Verde rims were from TireRack (TR) in April 2015 - with TPMS sensors installed. Now ... here's a rough outline of the history up to today.

Mid-Aug 2016: 2015 HyTi - removed TR rims/OEM tread and mounted OEM rims/tread for trade-in on current car. The TR rims+snow tread were stacked in the garage - inflated to 35 PSI and lying down.

Aug 31 '16: Got the current FFH, kept OEM rims/tread on until 10/31/16.

Oct 31, '16: Setup TR rims with OEM tread, setup OEM rims with snow tread and mounted OEM rim set.for Winter driving. TR rims/OEM tread were stacked in garage - inflated and lying down.

Apr 25, '17: Got the TR rims/OEM tread mounted, OEM rims/snows stacked in garage - inflated and lying down.

Now the fun begins. Having had a '12 Fiesta and then a '14 Fiesta with rim sets like this, experience told me that putting on the TR rims and given enough time/miles, the TPMS sensors and car would sync up without needing to be trained. Soooo, I waited for the TPMS warning to go away - Pressure Sensor Monitor Fault. Normally this indicates 1 or more failed sensors.

Any way ... after a couple weeks, I went back to Goodyear (installer) and had them run the training cycle as the fault light would not go out and stay out. No luck. Soooo off to the dealer (30 minutes away) to see what they could find. I went thinking I might just have a bad sensor BUT also expected that sensor to only show --- on the TPMS display for the wheel affected. Nope - all 4 showed --- (failure).

Long story short - after almost 2 hours fiddling, all 4 sensors fail to train. Yeah - all four. The training tool sees them alright but they simply refuse to train ... no matter what the mechanic does. Replacement estimate is $467 plus tax - parts/labor included.

Anyone EVER see a 4-sensor failure like this?

Edited by Cobra348

UPDATE: Spent time at Goodyear today looking for answers. What we found is this:

1. Depending on source there are at least 4 ways a push-button ignition can be exercised to enter training mode.

2. Ford Fusion models for 2015 and 2017 use sensors on the 315 mhz wavelength.

3. Different brands of sensors (Schrader, Alligator, etc) may use the same frequency but internal electronics may be incompatible with others.

4. Although they worked with the '15 HyTi, the TR sensors may be electronically incompatible with current car (see #3 above as possible reason).

Monday at 8 AM I'll be at the dealer getting whatever sensors are on the TR rims replaced with OEM ones that should then pair up to the car without a hitch. If they don't then that would mean the car computer has a problem ... which is one of the least likely reasons we came up with.

In all the testing, the tool in use for training could detect the sensor frequency, sensor serial number/code, PSI of the tire in question. Just could not reset the doggone thing. Jeez ... $500 out the door Monday! Oh well.

Edited by Cobra348