ptjones

How to Drive a FORD Fusion Hybrid to get Great Gas Mileage

And, hopefully, you do not spend much time at 35mph on cruise. That is kinda-sorta neighborhood territory, and you risk tagging a kid chasing a ball or his dog. Cruise is for interstates with moderate traffic.

I disagree. I use cruise as much as possible on any road I can. Helps me maintain the speed limit, especially in neighborhoods and school zones. Of course, I always pay attention to the road ahead. I've been driving that way for 20+ years. YouTube views are still at 0, since I don't have any.

If your gas engine is on at 35mph on a flat road, it's because your battery state of charge is low, so it's charging the battery. The whole point of a hybrid is to run the gas engine hard when it is on and save the extra energy for later. So instantaneous mpg numbers are totally meaningless.

That makes absolutely zero sense.

No, what Waldo says makes perfect sense and the key to what he said is "when it is on". This behavior is why hybrids can produce exceptional fuel efficiency.

if you don't have anything good say, don't POST!

Much of what you post is either illegal or dangerous. Not good. Should you follow your own advice?

I disagree. I use cruise as much as possible on any road I can. Helps me maintain the speed limit, especially in neighborhoods and school zones. Of course, I always pay attention to the road ahead. I've been driving that way for 20+ years. YouTube views are still at 0, since I don't have any.

Best post of the month

I realize are a few on here that could care less and aren't interested in making the extra effort to improve mpg's and like for some reason harassing people that are trying to do a good thing. ;(

No, you are being challenged by multiple members on this forum for advocating illegal activity and having no regard for the safety of others.

This is speculation on my part, but I think most people on this forum are here to learn more about their FFH and how to drive it as economically as possible. For clear thinking people that means safely maximizing miles/dollar, not maximizing MPG regardless of cost,. Many (maybe most) members on this forum likely outperform you in that regard because they don't fuel up with premium gasoline, add worthless additives to their fuel tank or spend money on dubious modifications to their cars that can void their factory warranty. Very few here are motivated by the OCD hypermiling game that completely consumes you.

Please stop quoting posts and then editing within it. The edits you add to the quote are what you said not the original poster. Please respond below the quote.

I monitor all four Hybrid/Energi forums for over 6 yrs and there has never been a warranty problem with any of MY MOD's.

I asked you this question in the past and you did not respond, I'll ask it again. Why did you remove all your grill covers just before taking your CMAX in to be diagnosed for its failing transmission? I'll bet you also removed the angle iron you bolted to the bottom of the transmission. Any possibility it was because the owner's manual clearly states that modifications may void your warranty? Makes it difficult for the mod to cause a warranty problem when it is removed before the service appointment.

Billford already showed that you do advocate illegal activity: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/11745-how-to-drive-a-ford-fusion-hybrid-to-get-great-gas-mileage/?p=108697

Drafting is also illegal but nearly impossible to enforce. And in this post you make it clear that since you can violate the law safely it is okay: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/11745-how-to-drive-a-ford-fusion-hybrid-to-get-great-gas-mileage/?p=108694

Since your grille covers block air, making all 4 coolers useless, they are adding unnecessary weight. Why don't you remove all 4 coolers and the cooling fan? It will reduce weight and reduce the electrical load.

It will give you what you want, more mpg's.

Don't forget to make a u tube video of the results.

Come on, PT, don't go silent again on this question. Tell us why you removed your grill covers just before taking your CMAX in for the failing transmission warranty repair. I'm thinking maybe you have forgotten what you told us. Here is the relevant link: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/10178-thoughts-on-ecvt-temperatures/?p=97623

If you don't want to follow the link here it is:

I peeled them off when I got to the Dealer so they really didn't notice, They liked my wheel covers which I also took off and put in the car for safe keeping. I put the covers back on because the Trans ran cooler with them on. I did put 3-3" holes in lower cover to allow more air through, but still allow the temps to get over 214*F so the shutters would open. :)

Edited by Texasota

Get a ScanGaugeII and check for yourself. :) Radiator, Trans, Inverter and A/C get enough air to work just fine. :)

Start from the beginning of this thread and read all the posts and go through all the YouTube videos to the end and then go to :http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/970-cmax-grill-cover-testing-2-5-mpg-gain/page-1 and go through all the post to get the info you are looking for.

It is obvious that you aren't interested using the info to improve your mpg's, so I'll have to asks you to Please don't post on any of My Threads in the future. Thank You :)

Paul

No, they do not get enough air to work fine as you wrote, especially uphills when the shutters are open in slow traffic.

You wrote before that its ok for the coolant temperature to reach 230 and you never noticed the fan running. Maybe that's normal on a cmax, but this is a Fusion forum and my 2014 Fusion, the radiator fan turns on at about 218. I verified this with a scanner when climbing the mountains. Once the fan turns on, it quickly cools down to 204. This is how the 2014 Fusion is programmed with the latest available powertrain software.

Your normal blocked grille cmax 230 is out of the Fusions normal zone.

Edited by billford