ptjones

How to Drive a FORD Fusion Hybrid to get Great Gas Mileage

Dudes! Dudettes!

Our rides have active grill shutters. The car knows better than forum posts when to block or not block air.

If you find yourself with foam, a box cutter, and packing tape in hand, looking at your ride, just pause. Take a deep breath, go for a walk, hug your spouse, hug your kids, crack open a beer.

As far as I know, we have not lost a forum member due to criminal advice. Let's keep that tradition going!

Back in the days when this forum had very active moderators (thinking of GrySql) this thread would have been shutdown and deleted. Threads advocating and pressuring members to participate in dangerous and illegal activity has no place on this forum.

I'm kind of surprised anyone would be bold enough to post videos of themselves demonstrating dangerous and illegal driving techniques. Sure makes him an easy target for Georgia highway patrol and a slam dunk for prosecution. PT, would you be okay with having your videos forwarded to the Georgia highway patrol?

Edited by Texasota

You said that " Other than being able to get heat a little sooner without forcing the ICE to run constantly" if the ICE runs less you are automatically getting better gas mileage. :)

But my real point was, any difference was negligible, and not worthy of my effort. I've done very well MPG-wise without fussing around with any mods.

I miss "GrySql" , He wouldn't put up with the bullying and harassing treatment toward me and my Thread. Four years ago I had a similar situation, GrySql PMed me and took action as you can see below. I didn't ask for this, but he didn't want me to leave the forum. If he was still around there would be a few less antagonizing members on this thread. Here are his messages:

Hang in there

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• photo-11309.gif?_r=1463373017
  • Fusion Hybrid Member
  • hybrid.png
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Sent 10 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

Paul,
I apologize for certain members antagonizing remarks to you, it isn't called for.

We (Mods) have been moving forward with things to prevent this in the near future.

You are not telling people what to do, merely stating what you do and that is not a cause for demeaning remarks.

Please stick around, I think this Forum learns a lot from your experiences but many lack your zeal for that ultimate mpg number but their opinions are not more important than yours.

This is a place for all to use and share experiences and a few people here are not following the Rules that we have recently posted.

We're going to remedy that.

Best regards,

Dave

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• photo-11309.gif?_r=1463373017
  • Fusion Hybrid Member
  • hybrid.png
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Declined

Sent 27 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

Paul,

FYI, Easy Rider has been Banned from this Forum.

Best,

Dave

I think GrySql did an excellent job for this Forum, wish he was still here. :)

Paul

Paul! Take your meds, dude.

You do not own a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Go away. Do I have to call your mother?

I miss "GrySql" , He wouldn't put up with the bullying and harassing treatment toward me and my Thread.

Awwww, poor PT. You are so unfairly mistreated and abused. :baby: You really have no understanding at all why numerous members on this forum dislike this thread so much even when it is clearly explained to you. You are right about one thing in regards to the old days, this thread would not have generated animosity because it would have been deleted. Get yourself some help.

Edited by Texasota

PT - as noted, you do not have an FFH in your driveway. What might be workable on the CMax is not necessarily good for FFH.

Please stop advising the use of what many here consider dangerous and foolish items. If you want to use them on YOUR vehicle please do so. But not here.

PS - time for the meds, man!

Actually, the "meds" comments are uncalled for and inappropriate. Here's how I see it. Anyone is free to make a point, and I'm free to agree or disagree. And make a counterpoint if I so desire. If anything, PT is persistent. Personally, I wish he'd give it up, but I don't think it's justification to attack him personally.

I miss "GrySql" , He wouldn't put up with the bullying and harassing treatment toward me and my Thread. Four years ago I had a similar situation, GrySql PMed me and took action as you can see below. I didn't ask for this, but he didn't want me to leave the forum. If he was still around there would be a few less antagonizing members on this thread. Here are his messages:

Why don't you complain to the current moderator with a copy of the posts that are harassing you?

Or better yet, start your own website and forum.

Well, I did, and frankly, I feel you and others here simply ARE harassing and insulting PT. So far, no reaction to my signalling. Does it mean this topic is not followed up by a moderator?

The technique PT is advocating is widely used on a variety of Toyota Hybrid models, and is recognized for its efficiency. I appreciate PT is informing us, users of Fusion/Mondeo Hybrids of his experience with the c-Max, using the same drive train.

Each user of grill blockers does it at its own risks and perils, but in fact, the main precaution is to watch the coulant temperature of the engine AND invertor, especially when operating under high charge. This is easily done with apps like Torque or Hybrid Assistant.

I have been considering buying the model PT has designed for the Fusion/Mondeo, but did not do so because of the price. I am confident the practice of grill blocking about 7 months a year here in Germany would help me save a significant amount of fuel. We pay double your price.

Regardless, I just feel PT should enjoy the freedom of speech usual on most car forums and I noted he is never using inappropriate language. Some of the critiques uttered here are in my view formulated in an inappropriate, offensive way. I'm a moderator in two large European Forums on Hybrid Vehicles, and I would have intervened immediately. Are the rules maybe different in North America?

Just my two cents, aware I'm only a guest here.

Jan ;)

Edited by Mister MMT

Why don't you complain to the current moderator with a copy of the posts that are harassing you?

Or better yet, start your own website and forum.

I tried , but there doesn't seem to be anyone monitoring this site. :(

Paul

Well, I did, and frankly, I feel you and others here simply ARE harassing and insulting PT.

Where was I harassing and insulting?

@billford. Point well taken. I agree with md13ffhguy the "meds" comments in 255 - 257 are uncalled for and inappropriate.

You have not been insulting, but you and others continue since several months to try and convince PT he should stop reporting and go elsewhere. Together with the comments depicting PT as mentally ill, this is taking the form of harassment.

I maintain my comments on free speech for all participants and the practice of using grill blockers, which when done properly, can give satisfactory and meaningful results.

People following this discussion get all the viewpoints and are certainly adult enough to decide whether to try them or not.

But as I said, there may be cultural differences between people from North America and Europe, and I of course am willing to take those into consideration.

Jan

Edited by Mister MMT

PT is fruit loops. He does not own a Ford Fusion Hybrid. This website is FordFusionHybridForum.com. Get that memo?

Some may think it good manners to allow fruit loops to post dangerous, wrong, lies, and criminal advice on this otherwise helpful and kind forum. Strange.

I'm with Mister MMT here, the name calling, insults and harassment is not called for. PT has attempted to use scientific methods to provide insight that others can choose to use. Now I find that his methods are often flawed and he ignores or does not consider some of the consequences of his recommendations (and/or fails to mention those consequences), but the information is still useful and the discussions when counterbalanced by reasonable responses by other forum members can be useful to anyone browsing around the internet.

You have not been insulting, but you and others continue since several months to try and convince PT he should stop reporting and go elsewhere. Together with the comments depicting PT as mentally ill, this is taking the form of harassment.

I agree that insults are uncalled for. I apologize if I crossed the line in that regard. But I disagree with you when PT advocates illegal activity and pressures forum members to embrace that behavior. That goes much further over the line, in my opinion, and should not happen on this forum. His training videos in post #1 in this thread promote illegal driving techniques. They are illegal for a very good reason - they are dangerous to other motorists on U.S. roads.

Edited by Texasota

It's perfectly alright to disagree. Harassment and indictments are less wanted.

I have been following this thread since I became member, and have been rereading it since the beginning of November 2018. I do not agree with the allegations PT advocates illegal activity or pressures forum members to embrace that behavior. He wants to share his experience of over 125000 miles of virtually problemless driving his C-Max with excellent mileage. In Toyota hybrid forums, there are tens of such people, and they are highly appreciated by their community.

What I see here is a bunch of people repeatingly stating the same things, without even seriously considering the arguments brought forward by PT and other reasonable contributors. Not my thing.

I am going to leave this forum. I opened a thread on the use of Hybrid Assistant, an Android app developed by close friends for Toyota and Lexus Hybrids, specially adapted for me when I bought my Mondeo Hybrid. I use it during most of my driving, and it allows anybody to have access to the data under Hybrid Reporter of the kind hybridbear and larryh produced with great efforts in the early years. I got over 2000 reads, but only very few deemed it useful/worthwhile to give any feedback.

In addition, I note the total absence of moderation, which is totally abnormal.

The impression I have is that the FFH community here is dying out, and that we have totally different views on what are forums for.

No bad feelings, just sadness. I regret to take this step, and wish you all the best, sincerely.

Farewell USA.

Jan

Edited by Mister MMT

Mister MMT I'm sorry to see you go, It was nice to have your unbiased opinion and I don't get this treatment on the other FORD Fusion/CMAX sites. Good Luck.

Paul

I have been following this thread since I became member, and have been rereading it since the beginning of November 2018. I do not agree with the allegations PT advocates illegal activity or pressures forum members to embrace that behavior.

The driving techniques may not be illegal in Germany but they are in Georgia and most other US states. Links to both applicable Georgia motor vehicle statutes for "coasting in neutral" and "diving to closely" were provided in earlier posts (no one said grill covers were illegal). If you have ever driven on I-75 in south Florida then you would see why "driving to closely" is illegal in most states. The carnage and deaths that occur on that interstate resulting from driving too closely when combined with high speed is devastating. And more importantly, innocent people that are not driving in that reckless manner get sucked into that mayhem. Innocent people die.

The driving techniques may not be illegal in Germany but they are in Georgia and most other US states. Links to both applicable Georgia motor vehicle statutes for "coasting in neutral" and "diving to closely" were provided in earlier posts (no one said grill covers were illegal). If you have ever driven on I-75 in south Florida then you would see why "driving to closely" is illegal in most states. The carnage and deaths that occur on that interstate resulting from driving too closely when combined with high speed is devastating. And more importantly, innocent people that are not driving in that reckless manner get sucked into that mayhem. Innocent people die.

Unfortunately More Miss Information, I talked to GDOT and there are no laws for drafting and I use Extended Drafting which is 100 ft behind SEMIs. And More Miss Information which I corrected you on before, "Coasting in Neutral" is only unlawful when %Grade Signs are posted which GA has very few and normally you would be using regen braking to keep from going to fast anyways. This Law is targeted for Semi Trucks primarily anyway. If you Google it There are No Laws describing drafting anywhere being Unlawful in the US. Talking to the GA Highway Patrol, you only need to be behind the vehicle in front of you far enough so a vehicle passing you can pull in front of you safely and 50 ft. would be plenty for that. Rear end accidents are caused from drivers not paying attention to the road in front of them. I'm not telling members to draft, just giving my experiences of 1 million miles/ 30 yrs of drafting and never having a rear end accident on the Hwys. https://www.treehugger.com/cars/drafting-behind-trucks-does-it-work.html

My Videos show what I have done for over 6 yrs/224K miles and how I get 52 actual mpg's average/yr for the last 2 1/2 yrs with 78% Hwy driving all over the country using my driving tips. My BlackStone Labs oil analysis are better now than when new with going up to 14k ICE miles/ 30k odometer miles between oil changes. :) Grill Covers improve mpgs and don't hurt the ICE as testing the oil shows and I'm getting as good of MPG's as I have ever have gotten. :) I have sold around 40 sets of Grill Covers and many more members have made their own and not one member on the 4 forums has said they don't work or has had any over heating problems. Only JUS and I (OK granted we are pretty motivated and both have gone over 900 miles , the only ones on the 4 FFH/CMAX forums in Hybrid Mode, I have the record of 930 mi. on a single tank) have experience the alarm coming on and it went away as soon I let off the gas a little, no power lost or long term problems. This is very hard to make happen as it took over a year of trying to get it to happen for me. Using my fuelly numbers I have saved about $4,129 in gas using my tips which would easily pay for tires, battery and all other maintenance items for the last 6+yrs.

Again I'm not telling anyone what to do, just showing the testing I have done and the results. You decide what to do. :)

Happy Gas/Money Saving Driving :) BTW Gas Prices Are Going Up ;( You have options.

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Unfortunately More Miss Information, I talked to GDOT and there are no laws for drafting and I use Extended Drafting which is 100 ft behind SEMIs. And More Miss Information which I corrected you on before, "Coasting in Neutral" is only unlawful when %Grade Signs are posted which GA has very few and normally you would be using regen braking to keep from going to fast anyways. This Law is targeted for Semi Trucks primarily anyway. If you Google it There are No Laws describing drafting anywhere being Unlawful in the US. Talking to the GA Highway Patrol, you only need to be behind the vehicle in front of you far enough so a vehicle passing you can pull in front of you safely and 50 ft. would be plenty for that. Rear end accidents are caused from drivers not paying attention to the road in front of them. I'm not telling members to draft, just giving my experiences of 1 million miles/ 30 yrs of drafting and never having a rear end accident on the Hwys. https://www.treehugger.com/cars/drafting-behind-trucks-does-it-work.html

My Videos show what I have done for over 6 yrs/224K miles and how I get 52 actual mpg's average/yr for the last 2 1/2 yrs with 78% Hwy driving all over the country using my driving tips. My BlackStone Labs oil analysis are better now than when new with going up to 14k ICE miles/ 30k odometer miles between oil changes. :) Grill Covers improve mpgs and don't hurt the ICE as testing the oil shows and I'm getting as good of MPG's as I have ever have gotten. :) I have sold around 40 sets of Grill Covers and many more members have made their own and not one member on the 4 forums has said they don't work or has had any over heating problems. Only JUS and I (OK granted we are pretty motivated and both have gone over 900 miles , the only ones on the 4 FFH/CMAX forums in Hybrid Mode, I have the record of 930 mi. on a single tank) have experience the alarm coming on and it went away as soon I let off the gas a little, no power lost or long term problems. This is very hard to make happen as it took over a year of trying to get it to happen for me. Using my fuelly numbers I have saved about $4,129 in gas using my tips which would easily pay for tires, battery and all other maintenance items for the last 6+yrs.

Again I'm not telling anyone what to do, just showing the testing I have done and the results. You decide what to do. :)

Happy Gas/Money Saving Driving :) BTW Gas Prices Are Going Up ;( You have options.

Paul

Paul before I joined here I lurked through all your threads and found the info very helpful keep up the good work!

Posted Today, 04:05 PM

post-143-0-98458700-1558298063_thumb.jpg post-143-0-56491000-1558298102_thumb.jpg

Now with the consistent 70-80+ degree temps and no significant rain my average on this tank is 57.5 mpg with 306 miles and climbing with speeds between 35-55 mph around home and no Interstate driving using my MPG Tips. Combining miles driven and Estimated miles to empty gives 815 miles estimated total for this tank and 66% EV miles or 209 miles so far. smile.png

Paul

Now with the consistent 70-80+ degree temps and no significant rain my average on this tank is 57.5 mpg with 306 miles and climbing with speeds between 35-55 mph around home and no Interstate driving using my MPG Tips.

Cool. FYI, that's pretty much what I get when under those same conditions, simply by driving at the speed limit... easy on the brake, easy on the gas. I was flirting with 58 about halfway through my last tank, but then we got rain. Oh well.

Cool. FYI, that's pretty much what I get when under those same conditions, simply by driving at the speed limit... easy on the brake, easy on the gas. I was flirting with 58 about halfway through my last tank, but then we got rain. Oh well.

Me too. When I'm on what I call 'back roads" driving 45-55 I'm always in the 50s using no special technique. But much of my driving is either freeway (70 mph) or hilly suburban so my usual average is mid 47s displayed (45-ish actual). I'm definitely fine with that.