ptjones

How to Drive a FORD Fusion Hybrid to get Great Gas Mileage

I have made three YouTube Videos for driving a CMAX Hybrid/FFH the way it was designed to be driven, Called "How to drive a CMAX Hybrid/ FFH to get great gas mileage", also "CMAX Mods to improve MPG's" and "Hypermiling to improve MPG's".

Efficiency and Aerodynamic Mods: The First thing to do is to raise your tire pressure of your Michelin's to 50psi which is safe to do according to Michelin with max pressure of 51 psi and I got 89k miles on my last set of tires on my CMAX. :) It is amassing how much you can improve tire tread life by raising you tire pressure to 50 psi. There are a lot of members on the four forums that use 50 psi.

Fusion 1a

Fusion 2a

Hypermiling Video not recommended for those who can't focus on situational awareness of traffic around you all the time.

Let me know what you think, any improvements.

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I can see the aero mods making a difference at highway speeds, but what about city speeds? Do you gain anything at city speeds?

I use the same scangauge pids as you except for the rpm. I'm monitoring the hv battery temperature instead. I don't have any facts but found the best mpg is when the hv battery is between 60 and 80F, regardless of ambient temperature.

I really wish you would stop saying 50psi is safe. It is not safe. You are reducing the traction provided by the tires meaning that emergency handling and braking will be compromised. Just because nothing bad has happened to you doesn't mean it will be safe for everybody for all time, you've just been lucky.

I wasn't going to say anything since he worked very hard to put that post together (and is very happy). But it is true. The technology on these new cars is so advanced that there is little margin for error. Overinflating your tires by 50% (35 lbs --> 50lbs) is crazy dangerous. Please look at the photo below. Only ONE THIRD of your tire is on the ground.

Your car's computer assumes you are at least close to the proper inflation. For example, Ford AdvanceTrac electronic stability control (ESB) uses a real-time computer to measure acceleration, pitch and yaw while you are driving down the road to keep you safe and get better performance. On my 2017 Fusion the ESB is constantly sending messages independently to each of the four wheels to change rpm when cornering. The calculations with an an over-inflated tire will hamper your Ford's ability to compensate and could lead to a rollover of your vehicle (that didn't have to happen). It's not worth risking your life (or the people in your car or the car behind you who aren't aware of the danger) to eek out a mpg. Always follow the guidelines posted on the inside of your driver door concerning tire inflation.

images-tire_inflation_500x324.jpg

Edited by stlouisgeorge

At most I add 3 PSI ... because if you look closely at a properly inflated tire (Fiesta or FFH in my case), there is a slight cupping so that the center rib is actually not wearing as much as surrounding material. This added 3 PSI offsets that for a flatter patch.

HOWEVER ... 50 PSI is not good, safe or in any way something anyone without a death wish should do.

HOWEVER ... 50 PSI is not good, safe or in any way something anyone without a death wish should do.

Same goes for drafting semi trucks.

I run my 2010 ( 33 recommended ) at 38-40. It helps the tire last longer the way the wife careens around corners.

I'm not a big fan of drafting either. For it to be really effective you have to be pretty close. Not only is this a safety concern, but you also increase the risk of getting your windshield cracked by rocks and whatever gets lofted your way. You are also more likely to have to press hard enough on the brake pedal to activate the friction brakes. I do think you can follow at a safe enough distance and still get maybe 1-2 mpg improvement, but even that just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Summer of '65 a friend and I took a bicycle trip from the Rochester, NY area to Niagara Falls. His Dad was our parental contact. We spent a couple days in Canada then came back and returned toward home using NY Rte 31 which was a truck route. Yup - we drafted a semi! For about 10 miles we were inside that cone of suction and tooting along at 60 or so! What a rush!

Looking back at that now, I would kick my kids butt all over if he tried it! :)

Message to "Semi Drafters". If you can't see truckers mirrors, he can't see you..

(Unless he is driving the "Platinum model" motor cab -- in which case has has a camera in back and is watch you and laughing).

I really wish you would stop saying 50psi is safe. It is not safe. You are reducing the traction provided by the tires meaning that emergency handling and braking will be compromised. Just because nothing bad has happened to you doesn't mean it will be safe for everybody for all time, you've just been lucky.

I talk to an Michelin Adviser on the phone explained that I was running 50psi getting even wear and 64K miles on the tires. He said he had no problem with that and would recommend it. It would seem their emphasis is on even wear. :) From my experience I believe the car handles better and stops quicker and with 151K miles I have a lot of experience. IMO :)

I wasn't going to say anything since he worked very hard to put that post together (and is very happy). But it is true. The technology on these new cars is so advanced that there is little margin for error. Overinflating your tires by 50% (35 lbs --> 50lbs) is crazy dangerous. Please look at the photo below. Only ONE THIRD of your tire is on the ground.

Your car's computer assumes you are at least close to the proper inflation. For example, Ford AdvanceTrac electronic stability control (ESB) uses a real-time computer to measure acceleration, pitch and yaw while you are driving down the road to keep you safe and get better performance. On my 2017 Fusion the ESB is constantly sending messages independently to each of the four wheels to change rpm when cornering. The calculations with an an over-inflated tire will hamper your Ford's ability to compensate and could lead to a rollover of your vehicle (that didn't have to happen). It's not worth risking your life (or the people in your car or the car behind you who aren't aware of the danger) to eek out a mpg. Always follow the guidelines posted on the inside of your driver door concerning tire inflation.

images-tire_inflation_500x324.jpg

Tire pressure for CMAX is 38psi /MAX cold 51psi and I would recommend you call: http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/contact/tire-concierge.html :)

Edited by ptjones

I can see the aero mods making a difference at highway speeds, but what about city speeds? Do you gain anything at city speeds?

I use the same scangauge pids as you except for the rpm. I'm monitoring the hv battery temperature instead. I don't have any facts but found the best mpg is when the hv battery is between 60 and 80F, regardless of ambient temperature.

In City driving it is all about keeping the ICE WT as hot as possible, it is virtually impossible to get ICE WT up to 202*F even with all grills closed off. ;(

Glad to hear you are safe! Not familiar with your car.

One of my favorite things to do to wake up tailgaters is to take my favorite Round-about at 35mph, most people go 20mph :), when I get out the other side I'm a 100 yards in front of them and the CMAX doesn't even silde out. :) Boy this car is fun to drive.

Paul

I'm wondering if anyone that wasn't using the 2 Bar technique and is now, how much their MPG's have improved? smile.png

Paul

I'm not a big fan of drafting either. For it to be really effective you have to be pretty close. Not only is this a safety concern, but you also increase the risk of getting your windshield cracked by rocks and whatever gets lofted your way. You are also more likely to have to press hard enough on the brake pedal to activate the friction brakes. I do think you can follow at a safe enough distance and still get maybe 1-2 mpg improvement, but even that just doesn't seem worth it to me.

The improvement in FE drafting is dependent on the air speed going by. With a 30 mph tail wind going 70mph you would probably see about 1 mpg improvement, but with a 30 mph head wind going 70 mph = 100 mph so your improvement could be 6 mpg or almost 100 mile improvement of range. :) :shift: BTW I hate getting 32mpg, what a drag. ;(

Paul

Paul

Your MPG is more important to you than the lives of other motorists on the road or your own life. I find that astonishing.

Your MPG is more important to you than the lives of other motorists on the road or your own life. I find that astonishing.

And I find it astonishing your reaction to drafting 100ft back of a Semi when most cars and Semis follow Semi's much closer and they aren't intentionally drafting. :drop: Drive the way to want to, don't give me a hard time because I have been doing extended drafting for 30 yrs with no problems. Accidents are caused from not paying attention to what's going on in front of you. :)

Up to 234 views total for my YouTube videos now. smile.png Would be nice to see an improvement on Fuelly.com.smile.png

Paul

There is a direct relationship between the lower percentage of ICE use and higher MPG's. The two tanks that I got 68mpg, my ICE % was 28-30%, that is why the 2 Bar rule is so important, when you use less than 2 Bars the ICE runs less efficient and longer so you lose more heat to the radiator.(water pump doesn't run when ICE is off) Running above 2 Bars, the HVB doesn't charge faster and the ICE is less efficient. Obviously it isn't practical to only run at 2 Bars all the time because of driving conditions, but the more you do the better MPG's.smile.png

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I always found drafting behind trucks increases the chances of rock chips on the bumper, hood, windshield.

Not worth the mpg gain in my opinion.

I always found drafting behind trucks increases the chances of rock chips on the bumper, hood, windshield.

Not worth the mpg gain in my opinion.

Definitely a personal decision, They do make the plastic sheet material to cover the front of the car to minimize any damage. http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-UNIVERSAL-Multifunction-Clear-Film-for-Car-Mirror-Fuel-Cover-Tail-Light-Head-/251060954956?hash=item3a7466274c:g:7lsAAOSwoudW2T3x&vxp=mtr :)

Paul

Today I took off wheel covers and rear fender covers so I could check tire pressure and spray off car and wheels. Tires where 50 psi on cool side of car, Great, and 52 psi on hot side of car, what I would expect. smile.png I did some running around for about 20 miles including spray off car at car wash. I could actually tell a difference in gas mileage to the tune of 1 1/2 to 2 mpg with covers off. I'm cleaning them off and reattaching and will see if my mpg's bounce back. headscratch.gif

Paul

I put the wheel and fender covers back on and got my mileage back! YA smile.png It looks like it's worth 2 mpg. smile.png

Paul

I think it's a good time to explain how to improve the efficiency/MPG's of CMAX/Fusion Hybrids again..

1. All the energy to move the car comes from burning gasoline in the ICE, so to start with the more efficient the ICE is, the better the gas mileage is going to be.

2. From FORD we know that the approx. operating temperature range of the ICE is 202*F to 212*F, I typically run between 215*F to 230*F with no negative effects. My last oil change I got my best BlackStone Lab numbers with 153k miles. smile.png

3. The CMAX/Fusion Hybrid being unable to get up to operating temps is the main cause of poor MPG's especially in City and cold weather driving. sad.png This is why Grill Covers are so important to Gas Mileage, getting the WT to come up faster staying above 202*F and should be standard on all CMAX/Fusion Hybrid vehicles. IMO Also Grill Covers improve HWY MPG's up to 2 mpg by cutting down aerodynamic drag

4. From our 4.5 yrs of testing, 2 Bars acceleration seems to get the best gas mileage so use it whenever possible. smile.png And again the procedure is accelerating at 2 Bars to 5 mph over desired speed and then let off the accelerator so ICE will shut off and EV Mode will engage. Then try to maintain speed in EV until ICE kicks in again and repeat by accelerate at 2 Bars to 5 mph over speed limit. shift.gif

BTW I'm upto 361 views on my YouTube videos. smile.png

Paul

Or, alternatively, you can forget about all of the above and think of two words -- Drive gently. Much less complicated.

I think it's fine for those who want to do whatever is required to see how high they can get their gas mileage. However, I choose not to do that or even think much about it. Instead, I just drive the car the way I want and let the great engineering in the car deliver great gas mileage. My last full tank, both suburban and freeway, some with AC on, got 47 mpg measured (49 displayed). In hotter (more AC) or colder weather, or in rain, I get less mpg. It's all fine with me :-)

Edited by mwr