Frank F

Five fillups

I used to use a "fill method," but now I just let the pump call the shots. It's all the same in the end, and my data did not prove to be any more consistent.

After hand calculating mine for over 20,000 miles the trip computer was very close to 2.25 MPG optimistic. Others have mentioned that the odometer has some error (on the pessimistic side) which I have never tried to measure. This would suggest that the actual figure would be a little less than 2.25.

How can you be certain that the vehicles calculations are "off"?

In the same line, how can you be sure that "your" calculations are 'right"?

Unless you add a calibrated external measuring wheel and a calibrated gasoline container, your numbers are guesses, just like the manufactures numbers.

My calculations were simple. I just divided miles driven (from trip 1 computer ) by gallons to fill the tank. This was recorded in my spreadsheet along with the trip 1 computer's MPG claim. Granted there is a lot of variability in one tank (uneven ground, different pumps, one vs two clicks etc) but tracking this in a spreadsheet for ~20,000 miles I assume the cumulative result to be a reasonably accurate comparison.

I did not claim in my above post that my numbers were 100% accurate. I was simply comparing my spread sheet calculations to the trip computer's calculation and they differ by ~2.25 MPG. This is consistent with results posted by other forum members.

But you are still "guessing " at miles driven and gallons used, no matter what calculation you use.

I am using the car's odometer reading of miles driven and the gas pump's digital reading of gallons pumped. Granted both have some relatively small amount of error but the data being used are not guesses.

I believe there are three key sources that contribute to error in the hand calculations and the MPG as reported by the trip computer:

1. The error in miles traveled as reported by my FFH's odometer
  2. The error in gallons dispensed as reported by the gas pump's digital readout
  3. The error in gallons used as reported by my FFH's fuel metering (used by the trip computer to report MPG)

There are also other sources of error such as inconsistent topping off of the fuel tank but this would become negligible over the course of ~20,000 miles. This is only speculation on my part, but I suspect the largest source of error is #3.

All I am saying is that "your" number can be off just like the cars number.

This is without question true. The trip 1 computer and the hand calculations are both using the car's odometer which means the odometer error is present in both MPG calculations. That leaves the two different methods of measuring fuel consumption to explain the discrepancy.

But you are still "guessing " at miles driven and gallons used, no matter what calculation you use.

That's always been my contention, too. However, I've decided that the pump (any pump) displays the most correct number. It's the number of gallons I've actually PAID for. ;)

All I am saying is that "your"number can be off just like the cars number.

Right, there's error and variance to account for, but as mentioned, it eventually averages out, or is at least minimized.