I have automatic headlights / headlamps on my 2017 SE Hybrid. I also have it enabled via the menu.

Just how dark does it have to be before they engage? Will street lights / outdoor garage lights / residential outdoor house lights be enough light to prevent triggering?

Just to be clear, the menu enables the DRL lamps, not the auto lamps. For auto lamps to work the headlamp switch needs to be in the "auto" position. Auto lamps are remarkably reliable. They can be triggered as you go under bridges and such some times, but outdoor lights won't turn them off when they should be on.

The Menu allows you to set the delay time the lights will remain on after shutting the car off, but like Waldo says, you must have the headlamp switch set in the Autolamps position which I believe is all the way to the right on the dial.

Ahh, thanks. I'll have to look again. Yes, I have the automatic headlamps on / off set to "auto" (furthest right on switch) and I agree they work great. (On my Focus too :)).

Now that I re-read my original post, I fubarred it. I should have said "automatic high beams." But now thinking I do not have such an option on the SE.

So I may be confused completely and will re-visit the menus again. I may have been wanting automatic high beams so badly, that I am mis-reading the menu options and thinking it says "automatic high beams."

Sorry about that.

Just to be clear, the menu enables the DRL lamps, not the auto lamps. For auto lamps to work the headlamp switch needs to be in the "auto" position. Auto lamps are remarkably reliable. They can be triggered as you go under bridges and such some times, but outdoor lights won't turn them off when they should be on.

Yes, thank you. I do remember seeing the DRL enable/disable option.

The automatic high beams in our Explorer seem to come only when there are no lights detected...for the most part. Street lights, house lights, etc. are enough to switch it to low beams it seems.

Edited by bdginmo