Sign in to follow this  
gabster555

ABS module has an internal failure

Hi folks

Reaching out there for any guidance and help

For no apparent reason my 2011 FFH instrument panel lit up with like a Christmas tree and my electronics brakes stopped working. I was able to use the mechanical brakes but it required a lot more pressing down on the brake pedal.

I left the car alone and the next day started the car and all the warning lights went away. I drive to my local dealership and turned of the engine, turned the engine back on again and the warning lights were back again.

I have 147K on my FFH.

Just last month my Power steering failed and that was fixed.

According to my local Ford dealer

"The Advance traction, ABS concern with your vehicle was duplicated ran self test found codes U3000:49-AB0001:49-28, C0002:49-28, C0020:71-68, C0022:1D-68, C0022:49-AB, C1012:01-AB, U0418:00-2B. Performed pin point test and found ABS module has an internal failure, and Hydraulic Control Unit may have internal issue.

Recommend replacing ABS module and then retest.

ABS module $1,490.62 Part number PART# 9E5Z*2C215*B

Labor $ 310.00

+ tax

I find this ridiculous and to add salt to the injury, the average price of the Ford OEM part is $900.

I am so disappointed that my FFH is turning out to be a lemon

Sorry to hear about your expensive repair bill. These high tech cars are great when everything is working but repairs can be expensive when things start failing and it is painful. But, if your car has been reliable for 147K miles with only the recent power steering failure and the ABS module, then it has been an exceptionally reliable car and it would be a stretch to label it as a lemon. If there has been a non-stop raft of problems and repairs over those 147K miles, then you probably have justification to feel you have a lemon. Only my opinion.

Yea, I think the definition of a "lemon" doesn't include problems at 147K miles. The thing with electronics is they usually either fail early or they don't fail at all. At high mileage, it's often the connectors or wiring that get water/corrosion and cause these crazy issues. If I were you I'd look for an independent shop to see if they can try to clean up the connections first.

Thank you Texasota & Waldo for your comments.

Lemon is a little harsh.

I am the second owner of the car. I purchased my FFH with 80K miles on it. I just find it difficult to digest that one morning my breaks fail and then a double wammi being my local dealer wanting to overcharge me on the parts.

I just experienced the same brake system failure on my 2010 FFH at 134k. Dealer repair charges are about the same. It's a bummer, and really scary when it happens on the Interstate at 70 mph!

I think the abs issues are a problem with the 2012 and earlier fusions. Escape hybrids had a similar problem.

Have not heard of 2013 and later having the problem.

Hello,

I'm currently seeing a similar issue on my 2010 FFH. I see fault lights for Check Brake System and Service Advance Trac.

I showed it to Ford Service center and they think some connector or internal issue on the ABS module. 

I got an estimate of about $580 just to check it. 

Can someone please advise on the issue? Thanking in anticipation!

Anjal

20200928_180408.jpg

20200929_175702.jpg

This is how I got my car up and running.

1) Got a diagnostics from Ford Dealer $90 (ABS module failure  9E5Z*2C215*B)

2) Googled used part and purchased $130

3) I took it back to Ford dealership, and ask for part to be installed. They said, they couldn't guarantee part/work. Understandable. The part came from a Lincoln MKZ. Was reprogrammed and installed from the Ford dealership.

No problem with ABS since (going on 3 years)

I have been driving my car since past 3 weeks without getting the issue solved.

Showed it to a local repair shop and he said I can ride with just the mechanical brake. Initially felt the hardness in brake pedal, but now getting used to it. 

Has anyone continued driving the car with similar issue, or it's a critical concern? 

Got to a stop sign, brake pedal went to the floor, dashboard lit up, I limped around to neighborhood garage, they changed all four pads and rotors, but problem not fixed.  The brakes now work but without power assist, need lots of muscle to stop, like a 1960s car.  ABS warning light on.  Drove it to dealer, found 'faulty ABS control unit.'  Quoted $1,500, part 'on order.'  Discovered that 600k non-hybrids 2006-2010 built in Mexico are being recalled for this hydraulic control unit problem, but not hybrids.   What????   Reported this to NTHSB.

Hello, my name is Paulo. 

I have a 2010 ford fusion hybrid. I have a problem with the ABS. 

It is been so hard to find the part. I already went to the dealership and they said its on back order.

Do you guys recommend something to me? 

I really need the car and its stuck on the dealership because they cannot find it.  

Paulo that stinks I just took my car for a similar issue. Looks like they are on back order for a while. They said that I can take it home, but cannot garuntee it is safe to drive. TBH they also said that other mechanic shops in the area might be able to fix it with "OEM" parts, but he could not recommend any. 

My Error Codes are as followed.... its alot....

U3000

C0001, C0002 C020, C022, C0022:49, C1012, C1018

Quoted a rough estimate of 2.5k for parts and with labor comes to around 4.5k ..... At this point I am at the point of paying it, due to the car shortage and such. 

I'm having the same exact issue, with my 2010 fusion hybrid, at about 135K currently, and my dash randomly lit up all at once with the ABS light/ brakes/ warning lights and the brakes now take a lot of pressure to work.  I took to a local shop right away and they told me it is an ABS module system issue and they cannot help and told me that I needed to take it to a dealership.  All local dealerships service departments are backed up so I'm now forced to wait weeks before I can get more details.  I was told by a dealership that they have had a lot of the same exact ABS system complaints recently.  This should absolutely be a recall for the hybrids too!!

What parts are the common repair parts for this issue.  I can't figure out on mine if it's the abs pump or some booster solenoid based off code c0022.  My car has soft brake pedal.  All the brake lights and codes.  Def feels like it's not getting vacuum boost.

I can't even find what the booster solenoid is and where it's at.  I did watch a great YouTube video about a vacuum pump on a 2009 escape hybrid from a master tech.   It's on the bottom of the engine. 

Has anyone attempted any of these repairs themselves?  

My car has 291k on it and is all beat up.  I need to fix it myself or send it to car heaven.   I really don't wanna do that though.   I've replaced so much on it already....