Sign in to follow this  
Nic Jolin

Ford Fusion Hybrid Showing Many False Dash Warnings

Hi All,

I own a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with just over 100,000 miles on it. I went out the other day and tried to start the car when about 10 false dash warnings came on as well as the stop safely now function that won't let me start the car. I know they are false because they would only be on if the car was running (high engine temp, high motor temp).

It has been snowing and quite cold so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but does anyone have a clue what could be going on. Because I can't start the car in this condition, I'll have to have it towed which is upsetting. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

How old is the 12 volt battery? Low voltage can cause strange errors.

Do you use a block heater? They have been known to cause strange errors.

I'm not sure. I did try and jump start the battery as I heard this could be a cause but didn't help. I have a multimeter and can check the voltage.

I'm not sure. I did try and jump start the battery as I heard this could be a cause but didn't help. I have a multimeter and can check the voltage.

The voltage needs to be checked while the battery is under a heavy load. I have a tester that puts a 100 amp load on a battery for 10 seconds. On a good battery the voltage will stay above 11 volts during the 10 second test.

Don't bother with load tests as the battery is never put under cranking loads. Change the 12 vdc battery.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll get a new battery when I can make it in. Hopefully that solves the problem

One more question. Do you guys know if swapping the battery will clear the warning codes and allow me to start the car? Or does it need to be cleared manually?

I'm thinking it's the battery as I measured the voltage with the car off, and it measured 11.6v.

One more question. Do you guys know if swapping the battery will clear the warning codes and allow me to start the car? Or does it need to be cleared manually?

I'm thinking it's the battery as I measured the voltage with the car off, and it measured 11.6v.

11.6 volts is, for all practical purposes, a discharged battery.

I had a similar problem this past summer - 2010 with 90k miles. Repair shop cleared all the error codes - none came back. They kept the car for half a day and couldn't figure out the cause. Battery had been replaced less than 6 months earlier. They removed a battery cable for 5 minutes to essentially reboot the computer. Haven't seen the problem again (yet).