Sign in to follow this  
Frank F

Looking at 2017 Fusion Hybrid

Hey team, new member here, great forum.

I am currently looking at a 2017 Fusion Hybrid SE -- used --. Yes a used one already on the market.

I was looking at a new 2017; D plan eligible, plus end of year incentives, but alas Ford Credit wouldn't give me the 0% at 72 months, so I was going to give up, but then I found a used one (corporate vehicle return I believe).

We'll see how that turns out, but it's a 2017 SE with adaptive cruise control. Just the fact that it's an SE with with adaptive cruise control appears to make it one of the scarcest vehicles in the Ford line-up. You just don't see that many SE's with ACC -- probably because you have to add luxury and assist packages which almost make it to Titanium price territory.

However, looking at D plan pricing between (as close as one can get of course) SE and Titanium, if I recall correctly, the SE still comes out about $2k less. Obviously, you're losing some luxury and a few options and/or implementation -- no cooled seats available in the SE for example. Not sure if SE comes equipped with heated steering wheel either, but that's not critical for me here in north central Texas.

Any way, sorry to ramble. But a 2017 hybrid SE is in the works.

Hi Frank, welcome to the Forum!

This is just my opinion, but when I bought my original FFH in 2013, I picked the SE over the Titanium because I found the seats in the SE to be more comfortable. And you are correct about most SE's don't have the ACC feature - I had to factory order mine in order to get the options I wanted. So If the SE that you found has the options you want, I'd go for it. I don't think you'll regret the SE, you'll have the options you want, and the price that you want.

P.S. Does the SE ACC also have the stop-and-go feature? Because that is the single best feature I found in the 2017 over the 2013.

Hi Frank, welcome to the Forum!

This is just my opinion, but when I bought my original FFH in 2013, I picked the SE over the Titanium because I found the seats in the SE to be more comfortable. And you are correct about most SE's don't have the ACC feature - I had to factory order mine in order to get the options I wanted. So If the SE that you found has the options you want, I'd go for it. I don't think you'll regret the SE, you'll have the options you want, and the price that you want.

P.S. Does the SE ACC also have the stop-and-go feature? Because that is the single best feature I found in the 2017 over the 2013.

Thank you sir.

Yes, the 2017 FFH SE does indeed have the stop and go ACC. Precisely what I need for my new commute.

I did look at the Fusion non-hybrid, but to get ACC in either the SE or Titanium trim, one is forced to option with the 2.0 Ecoboost. While that's a fun vehicle to put one's foot into, for my long commute, the fuel economy was nowhere near what I wanted.

Welcome! You can see by my sig that I too have an SE with ACC. I did factory order mine as well.

Heated wheel is part of the Driver Assist package, tho I can't figure out why since all the rest ARE assist items (auto high beams, rain-sensing wipers, BLIS, etc).

If this is your first hybrid I suggest quality time with the manual and the car (running). Go thru screens, work controls and buttons, decide what you want displayed.

Have fun in the new car ... ask questions when you get 'em!

Welcome! You can see by my sig that I too have an SE with ACC. I did factory order mine as well.

Heated wheel is part of the Driver Assist package, tho I can't figure out why since all the rest ARE assist items (auto high beams, rain-sensing wipers, BLIS, etc).

If this is your first hybrid I suggest quality time with the manual and the car (running). Go thru screens, work controls and buttons, decide what you want displayed.

Have fun in the new car ... ask questions when you get 'em!

Yes, thank you. Car was delivered Wednesday.

Need paper work -- no temporary tags yet, nothing but the car and 1 key fob delivered. Salesman said he mails the extra stuff because shipping drivers don't always deliver anything but the car, and the extra stuff "has a mysterious way of ending up for sale on ebay" ;)

Yeah, I've been going through the manual a bit each day, and some "seat" time at night with it.

Did drive it through the neighborhood a bit.

Did not realize a CVT (never been in one that I recall much less driven), does "kick down" when going to WOT. I thought they just accelerated.... like say my F150 in 5th gear (manual transmission) at say 1k RPMs. Go to WOT, and the truck takes a day to get to any appreciable speed or engine RPM. I assumed a CVT was the same, but, at least the Fusion Hybrid isn't.

When you request a lot of power you get it from the engine and the electric motor at the same time. There are no gears to shift.

Well then it slides down / up the CVT pretty quickly to bring the ICE RPMs up. So yeah, no fixed gears. Guess one can think of it as "infinite" gears.

Well then it slides down / up the CVT pretty quickly to bring the ICE RPMs up. So yeah, no fixed gears. Guess one can think of it as "infinite" gears.

It's an eCVT. There are no belts either. It's the ratios between the engine and two electric motors. They can change very quickly.

Took delivery last week, but had to wait until today (actually last night) to finally drive with temporary plates. 1st drive this morning in my "real world" drive with ACC was neat. Quite a few places where it almost came to a stop, and a couple of places where it did.

I'll have to get the hang of ACC "distance" adjustment -- obviously at slower speeds x seconds (or whatever x bars represents) is closer than at greater speeds. Kind of neat how it keeps track.

Following a truck that was keeping precise speed was very nice. Following vehicles that get on the throttle, then brake, then throttle, then brake -- don't know if I'll get used to that or it will become more annoying. But... the ACC did the same thing. In my non-ACC Focus I used to just open the gap and let someone in between -- see if they would smooth the speed transitions. I can easily use the same strategy in the Fusion.

I didn't seem to notice an acceleration softening in either eco or non-eco mode. Could just be me. But only 1/2 of a daily commute so far, so I still have a learning curve facing me.

Anyway, so far so good.

Took delivery last week, but had to wait until today (actually last night) to finally drive with temporary plates. 1st drive this morning in my "real world" drive with ACC was neat. Quite a few places where it almost came to a stop, and a couple of places where it did.

I'll have to get the hang of ACC "distance" adjustment -- obviously at slower speeds x seconds (or whatever x bars represents) is closer than at greater speeds. Kind of neat how it keeps track.

Following a truck that was keeping precise speed was very nice. Following vehicles that get on the throttle, then brake, then throttle, then brake -- don't know if I'll get used to that or it will become more annoying. But... the ACC did the same thing. In my non-ACC Focus I used to just open the gap and let someone in between -- see if they would smooth the speed transitions. I can easily use the same strategy in the Fusion.

I didn't seem to notice an acceleration softening in either eco or non-eco mode. Could just be me. But only 1/2 of a daily commute so far, so I still have a learning curve facing me.

Anyway, so far so good.

On the ACC, I have 2 dashes (2 seconds?) distance setting for anything under 55 MPH. At 55 - 65 I'll set it to 3 dashes and use my judgement on traffic as to going to 4. Anything over 65 is 4 dashes. I find this works fairly well ... and I always have the foot available any way.

Using the ECO button versus not using it, there is a noticeable difference in the time it takes to get back to a preset ACC speed. Eco will take longer as it doesn't exactly "lead foot" the acceleration. To me it is more noticed at lower speeds, especially if ACC slowed me down or stopped me.