Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Won't drive in EV/HVB at 0

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rowekmr

rowekmr

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Escape Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

I just received a 2010 Mercury MIlan hybrid with 111k from auction in NC. The truck that delivered broke down somewhere in between for a few days and it has been record breaking cold locally. When it arrived the 12v battery was dead so we used a jump box to get it going. I let car idle for awhile to charge batteries. Took it on a short trip and car would only be in EV at stop and gas engine would cut on immediately at acceleration no matter how light. Car drive likes it is a non hybrid besides the EV mode at stop when it shows HVB at 0. Could the HV battery be frozen from the single digit temps and sitting? Or could it be defective or there is another issue? In the few miles I drove no codes were displayed. Car been at auction since 10/16 so that's 2 months of sitting.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   rowekmr

rowekmr

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:28 AM

Update I have been driving it around. It seems the battery charges and the car will go into EV mode but the maximum distance thus far has been 4 blocks.

#3 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 130 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

Somebody else should jump in with definitive answer for this model. All I can say (based on 2007 Camry Hybrid and 2014 Fusion Hybrid) is that hybrids offer little to no fuel efficiency benefits in very cold weather, especially on short trips. Batteries are not efficient when cold. Engines must get up to operating temperatures to meet emissions requirements (and to be most efficient). The engine must also be running to get the cabin up to comfortable temperature. Another thing to consider is that these are not electric cars -- the electric motor (and battery) are there to allow the gas engine to run in it's most efficient range. When it is producing excess power it will charge the battery, as the car will also do when braking. When extra energy is needed for acceleration, it is withdrawn from the battery. This allows a smaller and more economical gas engine to be used. So congratulations for driving four blocks on battery -- that takes a really light foot but isn't necessarily more gas efficient since all the energy has to originally come from gasoline.

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 649 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:09 AM

It maybe a problem with the the HVB being to cold, you may need to warm it up to get functioning properly. :)

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#5 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,776 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

I think the problem is Chicago.

#6 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:46 AM

I think the problem is Chicago.

Exactly - I remember driving in those temps (which we don't nearly as much in VA but does happen now and then) and thinking "geez I can't get this thing to use EV mode" despite egg-shelling the pedal... and then feeling quite the opposite in Springtime when it would he 70 degrees and thinking "geez this thing jumps into EV at the drop of a hat."

So hang tight OP, when things warm up you will very likely be much happier when your EV mode and MPG get to a much more favorable level.

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#7 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,776 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:15 AM

When temperatures get cold the advantage of hybrids reduces to the 10% or so better fuel economy  ( Brake Specific Fuel Consumption ) https://en.wikipedia...uel_consumption of the Atkinson cycle ICE.

#8 OFFLINE   rowekmr

rowekmr

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

Thanks a lot for the input. The more I drive it I think the car doesn't have any issues its more of the cold. Last night it was 10F warmer and I was able to (egg shell) get about 7 blocks I think couldn't have been more but couldn't tell when the gas engine came on because it went into idle not revving because of my speed.

I had an Escape hybrid and I was able to get up to 30 mph on electric. Maybe because of the cold I can only get 20-25 mph on this and have to pull into the right slower lane.

#9 OFFLINE   rowekmr

rowekmr

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Hey how far can you guys get on EV at what speed and outside temps?

I have experience with Escape hybrids and 1 Accord hybrid but this is completely different to me. Actually just got a 2013 Fusion Energi for my parents but it's systems operations are like night and day to this one. I went through the owners manuals and the tutorial on the dash and learned ALOT more info. Funny I don't see a lot of these privately owned locally on the road or for sale but our municipalities have been using them for personnel vehicles.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·