rowekmr

Won't drive in EV/HVB at 0

I just received a 2010 Mercury MIlan hybrid with 111k from auction in NC. The truck that delivered broke down somewhere in between for a few days and it has been record breaking cold locally. When it arrived the 12v battery was dead so we used a jump box to get it going. I let car idle for awhile to charge batteries. Took it on a short trip and car would only be in EV at stop and gas engine would cut on immediately at acceleration no matter how light. Car drive likes it is a non hybrid besides the EV mode at stop when it shows HVB at 0. Could the HV battery be frozen from the single digit temps and sitting? Or could it be defective or there is another issue? In the few miles I drove no codes were displayed. Car been at auction since 10/16 so that's 2 months of sitting.

Update I have been driving it around. It seems the battery charges and the car will go into EV mode but the maximum distance thus far has been 4 blocks.

Somebody else should jump in with definitive answer for this model. All I can say (based on 2007 Camry Hybrid and 2014 Fusion Hybrid) is that hybrids offer little to no fuel efficiency benefits in very cold weather, especially on short trips. Batteries are not efficient when cold. Engines must get up to operating temperatures to meet emissions requirements (and to be most efficient). The engine must also be running to get the cabin up to comfortable temperature. Another thing to consider is that these are not electric cars -- the electric motor (and battery) are there to allow the gas engine to run in it's most efficient range. When it is producing excess power it will charge the battery, as the car will also do when braking. When extra energy is needed for acceleration, it is withdrawn from the battery. This allows a smaller and more economical gas engine to be used. So congratulations for driving four blocks on battery -- that takes a really light foot but isn't necessarily more gas efficient since all the energy has to originally come from gasoline.

It maybe a problem with the the HVB being to cold, you may need to warm it up to get functioning properly. :)

Paul

I think the problem is Chicago.

Exactly - I remember driving in those temps (which we don't nearly as much in VA but does happen now and then) and thinking "geez I can't get this thing to use EV mode" despite egg-shelling the pedal... and then feeling quite the opposite in Springtime when it would he 70 degrees and thinking "geez this thing jumps into EV at the drop of a hat."

So hang tight OP, when things warm up you will very likely be much happier when your EV mode and MPG get to a much more favorable level.

Thanks a lot for the input. The more I drive it I think the car doesn't have any issues its more of the cold. Last night it was 10F warmer and I was able to (egg shell) get about 7 blocks I think couldn't have been more but couldn't tell when the gas engine came on because it went into idle not revving because of my speed.

I had an Escape hybrid and I was able to get up to 30 mph on electric. Maybe because of the cold I can only get 20-25 mph on this and have to pull into the right slower lane.

Hey how far can you guys get on EV at what speed and outside temps?

I have experience with Escape hybrids and 1 Accord hybrid but this is completely different to me. Actually just got a 2013 Fusion Energi for my parents but it's systems operations are like night and day to this one. I went through the owners manuals and the tutorial on the dash and learned ALOT more info. Funny I don't see a lot of these privately owned locally on the road or for sale but our municipalities have been using them for personnel vehicles.