rmsaunders6

12v Battery Issue on 2017 Fusion Hybrid

Just like to confirm what my Fusion salesman told me.. If 12V battery is dead.. The car (any Fusion?) is dead in ways that are not intuitive..

• Surprise! You can't open the Trunk with a dead/discharged 12v battery
  • Surprise! You can't open the gas door with a dead/discharged 12V battery.
  • Surprise! Since you can’t open the trunk, you can't get to the gas door manual override lever!
  • Surprise! (this is the best one). Since you can’t open the trunk, you can’t get to the dead 12V battery in the trunk (“huh?)
  • Wanna push/tow to the nearest service station? Surprise! Without special knowledge from the manual (out of scope), releasing the electric parking brake and putting the car into neutral using the electric shifting knob are impossible.
  • You can't open the driver car door with a dead/discharged 12v Battery unless you have the actual laser-cut key. Key? What key? Who needs a key? It's 2017! Train yourself [page 49 of the manual — now locked inside your "dead" car] on how to get into the car with a key.
  • The Key Blade:
  • Hope you didn't lock your "intelligent access key" [Fob] and your smart phone in the "dead" car. If so, you can stop reading.
  • In your fob is your actual "key" ("removable key blade”).
  • This is a key so complicated it takes a laser and your "security label" to reproduce (example "12345 X SAVE FOR CUSTOMER RECORDS”). This is the small square of cardboard which came on ONE of your TWO original Fobs identifying YOUR car's lock. It should be in a very safe place. Obviously you can’t go to Home Depot to get one made.
  • Locate the depress-able dark plastic "release button" next to the "panic" button on the fob. Press and the key blade should "pop" out.
  • Under the driver door handle is a secret "cap". Looking from below on the handle, locate the seam and slide the cap to the right to expose the key hole ("cylinder”).
  • Insert the key carefully [scratch!] and push up. I assume this will open the door mechanically (no power needed) Do not rotate/turn the key — instead, push up with gusto (my salesman actually said “with gusto” a few times on the walk-around to open/close the hood and trunk).
  • Time to “remotely” jump start the battery. (Genius! The Ford engineers came up with this idea to save a cubic foot in the engine bay..) Under the hood (unlike everything else, the hood can be opened manually if you got in the car AND know where the release lever is!). For jump-starting, there is a hidden positive post under a plastic cap in the engine bay (page 229). Use the normal jump starting procedure with this positive post and any other piece of “grounded” metal — specifically the (unlabeled) screw/bolt to the left of the positive post shown in the manual.
  • Now you can get to everything!

Keep the phone number for Ford Roadside Assistance (1-800-241-3673), AAA, tire mfr roadside assistance, and/or your insurance roadside assistance (SafeCo has it).

[betcha didn't know this one...]

If your Fusion runs out of gas, and won't start after adding fuel, you should press the start/stop button several times to force fuel through the fuel pump until it reaches the combustion chamber. [page 155]

I highly recommend The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook.

If you got this far I also highly recommend the $130 “idiot proof”

Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter

I'll correct any cited mistakes. Please don’t reply: “My 2008 laser chip key …”, or “My cousin got their 2010 Fusion open by..”, or “a locksmith can open” — unless you personally had a locksmith experience in the latest Ford “intelligent access key” (Fob) era.

Here are two posts I made on the Energi forum that address the problem of a dead battery.

1. Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

It happened to me today. Hadn't driven the Energi for about 10 days and the 12v battery was dead today. Tried using a trickle charger but didn't seem to work.

Checked the internet and found this one at Harbor Freight Tools:

3-in-1 Portable Power Pack with Jump Starter by Cen-Tech (item 62376)

Only $47.67 including tax.

Worked immediately. Drove the car a few miles and then plugged it in to the 240 EVSE. Hopefully the 12v battery will be fully charged at the end of the cycle.

Thanks to Murphy for the location of the negative terminal under the hood. The positive terminal has a red boot covering it and the negative terminal is 6 1/2 inches to the rear of the vehicle. The positive cable connection was a little tight but manageable.

Now to install the rope to open the trunk in case of future failure. Will be expected since it is a 2013.

2. Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

So I bought the jump starter battery pack as stated in the previous post. Since my battery will likely die in the near future (2013 FFE) I plan on carrying the jump starter in the trunk. But that won't do much good if I am away from home, the battery dies (or the key fob battery dies), and the car is locked. I need both a way to get into the vehicle and a way to open the trunk. My FFE has the push button start so no immediate way to get into the car.

Here is a youtube video of how to access the emergency access key contained in the key fob:

But once in the car I still can't access the trunk so I installed a piece of rope from the emergency trunk opener in the trunk through the back seat.

Problem solved.

This is just one way that addresses the dead battery problem on a push-button start vehicle.

Edited by JATR4

Maybe the modern world is not so complicated. Pull the plug, have a beer, plug it in.