Sign in to follow this  
CCalvinN

A quick word on replacement windshields

So last week I had a rock smack into my window and make a small spiderweb crack right in my field of view. The insurance company paid to have the windshield replaced. When I had that done I had to sign a piece of paper indicating that my lane keeping assist and other driver safety features may need to be calibrated due to the removal and reattachment of the mirror assembly. I called up the local Ford dealer and asked if that was needed and they said they didn't know. They suggested trying it out and if any of the systems didn't work right to bring it in and get it done.

So last night I took the car out for a longish drive and kept my eye on the lane departure indicator. As sure as heck, it never turned green indicating it could see the lines. This was a clear night with very good painted lines, so I knew I'd have to take it in. I turned off the lane departure warning figuring I didn't want to see what would happen if it 'found' the lines but was seeing them wrong. But I had never considered that the auto high beams would be affect. They were. About 3 miles into my highway trip the high beams came on. I was 2 car lengths behind somebody. I immediately flicked them off, but they came back on almost immediately.

I found myself in the unenviable position of trying to keep turning the high beams off while I furiously went through the menus to turn the feature off. It only took me about 60 seconds but I imagine that was a rough 60 seconds for the oncoming traffic and the pour guy driving in front of me. After a little though I went ahead and also turned off the rain sensing wipers.

So just a word of caution; if you have your windshield replaced it will more than likely need to be calibrated and will effect your auto high beams!