mwr

2 Year Ownership Reports - 2015 FFH

I bought one of the first available 2015 models on the last day of October, 2014, so my 2015 FFH SE is one week more than two years old. 28,000 miles, displayed overall mpg 45.4. Mostly suburban driving with lots of hills, some 70 mph freeway, two 1200-mile trips including hours of 75 mph driving. No problems at all. I still thoroughly enjoy the car.

I drive it like I want to drive it, and the only concession made toward getting good gas mileage is being easy on the braking so regen braking is used as much as possible. For constant-speed driving, I use "straight" cruise control, not any other more fuel-efficient type because I like the positive action and very constant speed control up and down hills.

Edited by mwr

Glad to hear your ownership experience has been good. I have a 2015 FFH S with almost 33,000 miles and similar experience. My lifetime (hand calculated) MPG is 45.2. Other than routine maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations) there was a visit to the service department for one recall (steering gear motor attachment bolts). No other service department visits.

So far this has been the most satisfying ownership experience of any car I have owned. If this car was stolen or wrecked, then I would replace it with the exact same car.

This is good to hear I am considering a 2013-2015 Fusion Hybrid or possible the Energi.

My 2015 Hybrid SE has been a great car and extremely reliable with amazing average mileage of 42. The only issue it had was a slight leak of the hybrid coolant tank at the tanks cap in the upper engine bay. Ford replaced the tank and no trouble since. Have almost 25K miles with several trips between FL and VA. Very comfortable drive and never thought I'd be so impressed by a Ford.

Have been very satisfied except for a short in the main computer that fried everything the first time I drove it! Mechanic assured me he fixed the frayed main power cable.

Living in Newfoundland, my MPG experiences are different. Very hilly in-city driving (city is built on a 700' height differential). Same sea level to 800' terrain on highways as they all descend into each coastal town the reascend over the plateaus. In summer I get low 40s. Winter driving is much lower in the low 30s and in much snow--common here Jan-Mar--slightly less. That said, my previous V6 Fusion got low 30s in the summer and well under 20 in the winter.

The car is a joy to drive. One change for me: In icy snow hill climbing you MUST downshift to L or the transmission and traction controls simply will not deliver sufficient power to the drive wheels.

Edited by jgnfld

One change for me: In icy snow hill climbing you MUST downshift to L or the transmission and traction controls simply will not deliver sufficient power to the drive wheels.

I'd like to hear more about this because it doesn't make sense to me. Obviously I don't understand what L on the trans lever really does.

I'd like to hear more about this because it doesn't make sense to me. Obviously I don't understand what L on the trans lever really does.

Basically "L" is there to make previous owners of automatic transmission cars feel familiar (I say that after 50 years of driving manual transmissions). To quote the owners manual:

1. Low Gear: Low gear (position L) is designed to mimic the enhanced engine braking available in non-hybrid vehicles. Low gear will produce high engine speeds to provide necessary engine braking. This is normal and will not damage your vehicle. In low gear, the gas engine will remain on more often than in position D.

Since there are no gears, the L position won't give you any difference in hill climbing. The creeping when stopped but brake released is also faked to make it seem like a conventional automatic.

I never use L, but Grade Assist (the push button and instrument panel downgrade icon) is very useful:

Grade assist:

• Provides additional grade braking with a combination of engine motoring and high-voltage battery charging to help maintain vehicle speed when descending a grade.

• As the vehicle determines the amount of engine motoring and high-voltage battery charging, you may notice the engine speed increasing and decreasing to help maintain your vehicle speed when descending a grade.

• The grade assist lamp in the instrument cluster is illuminated.

Its usefulness is that speed is usually maintained while going down long hills, rather than the car picking up speed. You still get the regenerative braking, but when the battery tops up engine braking is used rather than having to manually apply the friction brakes.

Basically "L" is there to make previous owners of automatic transmission cars feel familiar (I say that after 50 years of driving manual transmissions). ...

That doesn't explain "In icy snow hill climbing you MUST downshift to L or the transmission and traction controls simply will not deliver sufficient power to the drive wheels" which was the statement I was inquiring about..

I just experienced the lack of power situation. Next time it happens or I believe it will happen I shall try the L drive. I pulled out from a left turn going up a grade on snow and ice pack. The vehicle had only gone maybe 1/2 mile when this happened (morning commute) and I thought something major had gone wrong. Here I am expecting to be sliding slightly because I had the gas pedal half way to the floor and it wasn't gaining any speed. Then I noticed the "slip" light blinking and realized the car just down powered the vehicle to prevent wheel spin. Still an odd feeling.

This sounds like the traction control system is working as designed. There is a section in the owner's manual that describes the traction control system. Here is an excerpt:

The traction control system helps avoid drive wheel spin and loss of traction. If your vehicle begins to slide, the system applies the brakes to individual wheels and, when needed, reduces engine power at the same time. If the wheels spin when accelerating on slippery or loose surfaces, the system reduces engine power in order to increase traction.

With the Information Display Controls you can turn the traction control system off. It does not mention anything about the transmission in "L" disabling it. The traction control system is not unique to the FFH. It has been standard on many/most cars for many years.

Today was my 2 year anniversary with my 2015 FFH. I know because my salesman called (and also called on the 1 year anny,) It's done everything I imagined and I have had nearly zero issues in the almost 22000 miles I've driven it. The only significant issue I had was more of a design issue regarding the front underguard skirts coming loose after backing up from a parking stop. See my post with pictures for all the gory details and make sure you don't get too close to curbs when parking...

The other issue I had I also posted about is the cruise control cancel steering wheel button being not as responsive but it doesn't seem as bad now as it was when I posted about it. I use eco cruise control as much as I can every time I drive. I hit cancel when I see a stop up ahead and let the car coast as much as possible to a stop. Rinse repeat every drive every day.

It's got fairly low miles since I have about a 20 mile round trip work commute 5 days a week and about the farthest I drive it otherwise is from West Palm Beach to Orlando about three-four times a year to go to Disney.

Edited by jadei