Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Human Machine Interface 4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:30 PM

I was looking at  a Ford on Etis tonight and one description in the list of the car equipment was "Human Machine Interface 4".

Now, that could be a switch, knob, button or lots of other gizmos but I wonder what that actually is and what it does, any ideas?

Attached File  Screen Shot 2016-10-15 at 5.34.42 PM.png   720.18KB   0 downloads

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:40 AM

Yes - this is the module that translates the human's controls into the actions by the car to make them do what the human wants.

Next week I will hit the 1-year mark with my 2016 Volt and the only thing that was an issue was that I needed to have the HMI replaced, and a few others on the Volt forum reported the same.  Shortly after I had mine replaced they put out a service bulletin that alerted dealers to either get a software update (I think that was the first step) or HMI replacement (if update didn't help) if the owner reported issues such as the following.  I had the first two symptoms as the screen would go blank, and the volume knob would not work but the volume buttons on the steering wheel would work fine.

• Random Infotainment system resets while driving, screen temporarily goes blank and then returns after approximately 5 seconds
• The radio volume knob (non Cadillac) or slider bar (Cadillac) will not function
• The HVAC controls function but will not show changes on the display

So based on  the list that you found in Etis, the Fusion Hybrid apparently has an 'HMI 4' to manage the human's inputs on the touchscreen etc into actions by the car.

• GrySql likes this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#3 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

Thanks Jeff, that makes sense. 

BTW, this Etis list was for an Explorer, not a FFH.  Etis shows a lot of police package items in that Explorer summary list (ie. - Less Body Armor, Less Speaker Wiring - 2 Way Radio), so maybe it shows the specific HMI version for the VIN requested, Commercial or Police - my guess anyway.

• jeff_h likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#4 OFFLINE   B25Nut

B25Nut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 811 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid White Platinum - Dune
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

One of the best books on the general subject of human and machine interface is Digital Apollo by David A. Mindell.  It details the battles between the geniuses at MIT and the pilots/astronauts in the 1960s.  It's a fascinating read that would be enjoyed by many on this forum.

• GrySql likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:05 AM

HMI in Ford's build sheets basically refers to the Sync package.  Most Ford's have 3 different instrument clusters and 3 different center stacks (4in screen, touchscreen, touchscreen with Sony).  Explorer probably has an extra one for Police so that bumps the count up to 4.  So they use the term HMI to refer to that package.

Edited by Waldo, 24 October 2016 - 08:06 AM.

• GrySql likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·