Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Oil specification changed.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jpohlman

jpohlman

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:02 PM

The 2013+ Fusion, MkZ and CMax Hybrids now have 0w-20 as the recommended motor oil with 5w-20 also being approved for use.
Evidently 0w-20 is the factory fill oil and provides up to 4% better fuel economy, the change notice hit in Q1/2016 and it's now on the Motorcraft Oil/Filter charts at the dealers.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 750 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:19 PM

Yep, been running 0W-20 in my 2013 for a while, as well as in my wife's 2014.

See this post from the pinned thread on oil changes:

I think this was debated earlier in this same thread, and the below was noted in Ford's system to provide info to dealers:

SSM 44509 - 2013 - 2014 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi - Oil Viscosity Specification For 2014 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi, SAE 0W-20 is the initial fill oiland the recommended service oil. The oil viscosity recommendation of SAE 5W-20 on the oil fill caps on some 2014 Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi vehicles may appear to conflict with the owner guide and other service publications which recommend SAE 0W-20 oil. Both SAE 0W-20 oil and SAE 5W-20 oil are approved for use in these vehicles. 2013 C-Max, Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi can also be serviced with either SAE 0W-20 oil and SAE 5W-20 oil.

http://fordfusionhyb...13-hybridenergi
  • jeff_h likes this

244968.png

#3 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 722 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:45 PM

The two services of my 2015 FFH by my local Ford dealer, in June 2015 and Feb 2016, used 0W-20.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 132 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

Looked at my receipts (local Ford dealer) and its still 5W-20 as of July. But this applies to 2013-2014 (we have a 2014). Newer Fusions probably have specified 0W-20 since manufactured.

#5 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 59 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'm not buying the "4%" difference.  Maybe "up to", but 0% is up to 4%, so yeah.  At 100° C, the 0W-20 and 5W-20 are both 20 viscosity.  And at say 50° C, the 0W-20 is (guessing) an 8 viscosity and the 5W-20 is maybe a 10 viscosity.  (guessing, I'll bet viscosity change isn't linear).

#6 OFFLINE   usererror

usererror

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts
  • Current Vehicle:FFH Titanium

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

I found this topic via the search function.  I'm trying to determine why the new dealer I went to last week used Synthetic Oil.  All the previous Ford dealers I have used have put in Semi-Synthetic MotorCraft SAW 0W-20.  My owners manual does not state anything about Synthetic oil.  I'm going to put a sticker on the facia cover near the oil cap to not use Synthetic oil.

I was charged $68 for "The Works" service which I've had done for nearly 4 years on both my FFH and Escape at dealers, for always right around $40.

Do the newer FFH perhaps 'require' full synthetic?

Edited by usererror, 22 January 2018 - 11:51 AM.

640x163-current-line-up.png

#7 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,010 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:46 PM

I found this topic via the search function.  I'm trying to determine why the new dealer I went to last week used Synthetic Oil.  All the previous Ford dealers I have used have put in Semi-Synthetic MotorCraft SAW 0W-20.  My owners manual does not state anything about Synthetic oil.  I'm going to put a sticker on the facia cover near the oil cap to not use Synthetic oil.

I was charged $68 for "The Works" service which I've had done for nearly 4 years on both my FFH and Escape at dealers, for always right around $40.

Do the newer FFH perhaps 'require' full synthetic?

I think 0W-20 is full synthetic and 5W-20 is semi-synthetic.

The 2015 owners manual states this:

You can use 5W-20 oil if 0W-20 oil is not available.

I have always used 5W-20 in my 2015 FFH and choose to change it more frequently than is commonly done with 0W-20 (full synthetic).

Edited by Texasota, 22 January 2018 - 01:50 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   mwr

mwr

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 722 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FFH SE

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

My dealer uses 0W-20 Synthetic Blend.

IMG_2641c_160w.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   usererror

usererror

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts
  • Current Vehicle:FFH Titanium

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

My dealer uses 0W-20 Synthetic Blend.

I am back at this, I printed off the spec sheet for the 0w-20 oil and it says it is a synthetic blend, not full synthetic according to the Ford Part number. I'm bringing it with my $40 invoice and my $70 invoice to my dealer. If they want to charge me $40 again for the oil change I guess I'm going back to do it them myself. Another dealer I called for a 2nd opinion said that Ford keeps changing their price for the synthetic oil. Not sure I buy that completely, my former dealer always charged $39.95 for oil change and tire rotation.

I may try to calculate the cost / mile of 0w-20 vs 5w-20 if I have the dealer use that instead. Who knows maybe I am getting a better deal if 0w-20 lasts longer between oil changes.

640x163-current-line-up.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·