Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

17" vs 18" Tires

Tires

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fusionhybridse

fusionhybridse

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Continental
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

Hi All, 

I am looking forward to buy a new FFH. I am a bit confused about what size tires to go for? The areas I would like to focus on are FE and ride comfort. 

Also does color affect the FE in a hybrid? Eg. Black color would absorb more heat during the frigid winters.

PS:I know this is not the right place to ask questions related to color. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 724 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

I think it's generally accepted that the 17" wheels/tires result in better fuel economy.

Although I'm sure red cars are faster, I don't believe anyone has noticed any color being more efficient than another. ;)
  • fusionhybridse likes this

244968.png

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

If FE and ride comfort are your priority than there's nothing to be confused about, the 17in tires are the obvious choice.

Black cars might hold a bit more heat in the winter but they'll cause the A/C to run harder in the summer.

#4 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 132 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

Agree with the above about the tires. The color makes a major difference in the summer -- years ago I was in a car lot with a white and black car next to each other and the difference was very noticeable. Don't forget the interior colors as well. At least around here with overcast winter skies I can't imagine black being that much of a heating advantage -- it would depend on where you live. And of course a light colored car is easier for others to see during those long winter lights so probably is safer.

#5 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

I have 18" wheels on my 2013 Fusion Hybrid and have sat in Fusions with 17" and even 16" (2008 model) wheels and didn't feel any difference in comfort.

The fuel economy does take a hit with 18" wheels. I got a pre-owned car so I didn't have a choice, but if I were buying new I'd save the $$$.

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#6 OFFLINE   stlouisgeorge

stlouisgeorge

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 134 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum (Shadow Black)

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

If FE and ride comfort are your priority than there's nothing to be confused about, the 17in tires [compared to 18 or 19] are the obvious choice.
 /quote]
In regards to ride comfort, the smaller the wheel, the better to the ride [I say -- no mechanic]. 

Take things to the extreme.  This is just for arguments sake to illustrate..  Speed under, say 20MPH, and ignore other factors but feeling potholes)

Imagine if you had 10 inch wheels (and giant sidewalls that might not fit in the wheel well).  You would expect the added rubber and more air to cushion the ride. [if there were two potholes you would "float" over the second one :skateboard:

Imagine if your had 23 inch wheels -- (or the largest possible -- just go with it).  We've all seen them, with rotating hub caps.  Can you imagine going over a pot hole in a 23 inch tire?  It would probably dent the rim.  A horrible idea.

So, in conclusion, 17 inch rims should be a little more cushy than 18 inch rims. 

Another question: I assume your mechanic would have to "tell the car" you just changed something the wheel geometry) affecting the CVT. and speedomete.  [Like I'm going to swap wheels in my garage].

#7 OFFLINE   stlouisgeorge

stlouisgeorge

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 134 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum (Shadow Black)

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

I am sitting in my neighborhood Firestone Auto Care station.  Tire sales dude says with same tire specifications (sidewall is key) a 17 inch will ride smoother than a 18 inch whee(or 19, or 20,..)

Edited by stlouisgeorge, 26 December 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

So, in conclusion, 17 inch rims should be a little more cushy than 18 inch rims. 

Another question: I assume your mechanic would have to "tell the car" you just changed something the wheel geometry) affecting the CVT. and speedomete.  [Like I'm going to swap wheels in my garage].

The key is finding tires that have the same overall outside diameter.  Ford generally keeps them all pretty close, so a change from a factory 17in tire to a factory 18in tire is not going to change the overall diameter by enough to make it necessary to reset any of the computers.

#9 OFFLINE   devinron

devinron

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 28 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion
  • My Hybrid's Year:2012

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:00 AM

Get 18's if appearance is more important to you. Otherwise, choose 17's.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·