Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Different method of driving -- my experience getting 50+ mpg

mpg

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,846 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:59 PM

Engine efficiency is measured by a engineering term called Brake Specific Fuel Consumption ( BSFC ) It has nothing to do with car brakes. BSFC is weight of fuel per power output. The lowest and most efficient BSFC is achieved at ICE power levels above that demanded by solely charging the HVB. There is a limit on how much power HVBs can accept while charging. Hybrid ICE's never "Idle". They never operate below about 1000 rpm and then the throttle plate in the intake air manifold is almost wide open as compared to just barely cracked in a conventional ICE. Hybrid ICE's are only run at a point just shy of what used to be called "bucking" in a straight stick manual transmission car where you pressed too much on the accelerator pedal in too high a gear. That is the most efficient operating point but even that point is less efficient than ones available at higher power. In a non-plug in hybrid, it's all about operating the ICE at the best thermodynamic ( heat ) efficiency.

Here is a link to a Prius "Fuel Map": http://ecomodder.com...prius_bsfc1.jpg.

Fords have a similar shape. The picture is confusing because there are two Prius ICEs described, the 2001-2003 1.5 liter 1NZ-FXE and the 2004-2016 1.8 liter 2ZR-FXE. The bold lines are where the computer tries to operate the ICE. The most efficient areas are within the darker shaded regions of 230 g/kWh for the 1.5 liter and 220 g/kWh for the 1.8 liter. The bigger ICE has a lower BSFC than the smaller one and that translates to the fact that the larger, newer Prii get better mpg. These areas are considerably up and to the right from the intersection of the vertical and horizontal axis which is in the direction of higher power.

This is technical stuff but that's what it is. 

Edited by lolder, 14 October 2016 - 11:28 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 773 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

I did this for the CMAX Energi Forum to explain how to get the MAX FE:

First:  Grill Covers improve aerodynamics by 1.5-2 mpg using ICE and should do the same in HVB EV Mode.  I almost never take my Grill Covers off and when I do it's just the lower one.

Second: You would think because all the energy comes from the ICE that if you run it all time you would get your best FE, right?  Wrong! headscratch.gif FE problem turns out to be more complex than that.  I have tried running My Hybrid ICE all the time which by the way is very hard to do. What I did was filled up and got on I-40 going home and after about fifty miles FE seemed to stop going up so I went back to my normal Pulsing  uphills and EV down and almost immediately my FE went up and kept going up.  smile.png

Third: To get best FE the ICE needs to be at Operating Temp according to FORD (202-212*F) and This happens rarely without Grill Covers.  With Grill Covers on from a cold start it takes me at least 20 minutes on the FWY when it's warm out to get to 202*F. drop.gif

sml_gallery_1049_81_165189.jpg
Forth: You need to be at the maximal efficiency for the ICE which I believe is at Two Bars on Empower Display, I have noticed when accelerating the ICE power bar will stop at two bars and requires additional pressure to go pass that point and it seems to charge the HVB the fastest there too.   

This would apply to CMAX Hybrid/FFH and NRG's in Hybrid Mode:

This from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia...ting_or_gliding

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Causes of pulse-and-glide energy saving

Much of the time, automobile engines operate at only a fraction of their maximal efficiency,[24] resulting in lower fuel efficiency (or what is the same thing, higher specific fuel consumption (SFC)).[25] Charts that show the SFC for every feasible combination of torque (or Brake Mean Effective Pressure) and RPM are called Brake specific fuel consumption maps. Using such a map, one can find the efficiency of the engine at various combinations of rpmtorque, etc.[23]

During the pulse (acceleration) phase of pulse and glide, the efficiency is near maximal due to the high torque and much of this energy is stored as kinetic energy of the moving vehicle. This efficiently-obtained kinetic energy is then used in the glide phase to overcome rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. In other words, going between periods of very efficient acceleration and gliding gives an overall efficiency that is usually significantly higher than just cruising at a constant speed. Computer calculations have predicted that in rare cases (at low speeds where the torque required for cruising at steady speed is low) it's possible to double (or even triple) fuel economy.[22] More realistic simulations that account for other traffic suggest improvements of 20% are more likely.[23]

These two- or three-fold improvements in fuel economy are possible only at city driving speeds of say 25 or 35 miles/hour. This is because cruising (steady speed) at such low speeds is very inefficient since the torque needed is so low that the efficiency read on a BSFC map is very poor. Pulse and glide significantly improves this. Unfortunately, city driving often involves many stops at signals and stop signs which were absent in the computer simulation[22] which showed such multiple fold improvements. In other words, in the real world one is unlikely to see fuel efficiency double or triple. Such a failure is due to signals, stop signs, and considerations for other traffic; all of these factors interfering with the pulse and glide technique. But improvements in fuel economy of 20% or so are still feasible.[22][23][26]

This goes along with "louder Post #21 and covers most of the things that can be done to improve FE plus 50psi tire pressure. :shift:  :) 

Paul

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#23 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 748 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

So there you go, two posts - science and non-science (or nonsense?). Grill covers are not necessary, and neither is pulsing and gliding (aka erratic driving).

244968.png

#24 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 773 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SEL

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

So there you go, two posts - science and non-science (or nonsense?). Grill covers are not necessary, and neither is pulsing and gliding (aka erratic driving).

This thread is about improving MPG's, you don't have to do it, but others might be interested and this is all based on actual testing.( Science) :)  I have 5 tanks better than 61 mpg, with two at 68mpg. :yahoo:  :shift:   So this Science actually works, it's unfortunate that some members will put down MPG Tips proved with testing which they haven't tried it themselves. ;(  It is interesting that not one member on FFH/CMAX Forums that have tried Grill Covers on their cars say they don't work. :)

Grill Cover Temp/ MPG Testing

163299.png 600 Club

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68 mpg  13.5 gal.

#25 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 748 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

I have tried grill blocking (the first winter) with marginal benefit, mostly in warming the car a little quicker. I did a good, neat job, but didn't think the effort was worth my time the next two years. I get really good results by following one simple technique - driving gently. I drive the speed limit, stay to the right, and brake and accelerate gently (not so gently that it annoys anyone behind me).

244968.png

#26 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

Actually the two posts are really both exactly the same.  Pulse and glide and BSFC optimization are exactly the same thing.  In fact the entire premise of a hybrid is to allow for "pulse and glide" without the speed variations.  You pulse the engine by running the engine hard and using the extra energy to charge the battery, then you turn off the ICE and glide on the stored energy.  If you're driving the hybrid with great level of attention you can further optimize the pulse and gliding and still nobody around you will notice.

• ptjones likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·