58Desoto

Different method of driving -- my experience getting 50+ mpg

Here we go. When you are accelerating, you should do so enough to INSURE that the ICE runs. Do not try to keep it in EV. All the energy comes from gasoline and these hybrids are all about the thermodynamic efficiency of the ICE. The ICE is never run at low throttle plate openings. It is run at almost full throttle and the lowest RPM that will deliver the power called for. It is run at the point just shy of what we used to call "bucking" in too high a gear with too much throttle in manual transmission cars. Acceleration in a non-plug-in hybrid should almost always be done with the ICE on. The low mileage when the ICE is on is caused by the fact that it's power is being used almost equally in propelling the car and charging the HVB. You want to load up the ICE because that's when it operates at the lowest brake specific fuel consumption ( BSFC ). Here is a link to the Prius "fuel map": http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/File:Toyota_2zrfxe_1.8l_prius_bsfc1.jpg. Ford would have similar shapes. The intent is to operate as much as possible within the shaded areas at 220 for the newer Prius and 230 for the older, smaller ICE. There are two engines displayed on this chart. The two solid lines are where the engines actually operate. Here's another link about BSFC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_specific_fuel_consumption.

Edited by lolder

The computer systems in hybrids usually do a better job of fuel economy than you can until you have a lot of experience. There are no new tricks. It is my opinion that you should NOT try to keep the ICE from running by encouraging EV mode. Accelerate normally with the ICE, look ahead as far as you can at traffic lights and brake early and slowly to avoid coming to a complete stop. Don't speed. If you are a type A it will be hard to adapt.

When I start out I EV to 15-20 mph then use ICE at two bar acceleration to 5 mph over speed limit. Then I glide down to speed limit and holding as long as I can in EV to 5 mph under Speed limit. Then start ICE accelerating at two bars again to five mph over SL. and repeat.

Glad I don't have to drive behind you! ;)

EV+ lowers the HVB charge as you near "Home" because the next time you start the car, probably the next day, the ICE will need to run some additional time to do some evaporative emissions tests and to warm up some ICE components such as the catalytic converter. Charging the HVB up to average during this time will help "load up" the ICE into a more efficient operating power level. Engines are most fuel efficient at moderately higher power settings. They are least efficient at low settings and hybrid cars avoid these areas of operation. Shortly after the 2013 Ford hybrids were introduced with 47/47/47 mpg rating, it became apparent that they couldn't meet these numbers. They did a software update to raise the max EV speed from 60 to the 86 mph of the plug-ins. This was a big mistake as EV is not more efficient than the ICE at these higher speeds. The "Energi's" have an additional transmission cooling pump that the hybrids don't have and it is suspected that might have been the cause of transmission failures in the hybrids.

Edited by lolder

Interesting comment coming from someone that has a better Fuelly average than I do. :lol: I'm assuming your miles are primarily City, you don't post it on Fuelly. Mine are 82% HWY. All my high mileage tanks have been on trips using State Routes (55-65mph) like this last trip was from Newnan, GA to Savannah, GA to Georgetown, SC to Monticello, GA. :shift: :)

Paul

Yeah, but I just drive consistently at the speed limit without all the slowing and speeding up. Adaptive cruise control seems to benefit fuel mileage, too.

Not sure how anyone can precisely measure city vs highway driving to an exact percentage. I spend a LOT of time on highways, but during rush hour, it's not always at highway speeds.

Engine efficiency is measured by a engineering term called Brake Specific Fuel Consumption ( BSFC ) It has nothing to do with car brakes. BSFC is weight of fuel per power output. The lowest and most efficient BSFC is achieved at ICE power levels above that demanded by solely charging the HVB. There is a limit on how much power HVBs can accept while charging. Hybrid ICE's never "Idle". They never operate below about 1000 rpm and then the throttle plate in the intake air manifold is almost wide open as compared to just barely cracked in a conventional ICE. Hybrid ICE's are only run at a point just shy of what used to be called "bucking" in a straight stick manual transmission car where you pressed too much on the accelerator pedal in too high a gear. That is the most efficient operating point but even that point is less efficient than ones available at higher power. In a non-plug in hybrid, it's all about operating the ICE at the best thermodynamic ( heat ) efficiency.

Here is a link to a Prius "Fuel Map": http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/File:Toyota_2zrfxe_1.8l_prius_bsfc1.jpg.

Fords have a similar shape. The picture is confusing because there are two Prius ICEs described, the 2001-2003 1.5 liter 1NZ-FXE and the 2004-2016 1.8 liter 2ZR-FXE. The bold lines are where the computer tries to operate the ICE. The most efficient areas are within the darker shaded regions of 230 g/kWh for the 1.5 liter and 220 g/kWh for the 1.8 liter. The bigger ICE has a lower BSFC than the smaller one and that translates to the fact that the larger, newer Prii get better mpg. These areas are considerably up and to the right from the intersection of the vertical and horizontal axis which is in the direction of higher power.

This is technical stuff but that's what it is.

Edited by lolder

So there you go, two posts - science and non-science (or nonsense?). Grill covers are not necessary, and neither is pulsing and gliding (aka erratic driving).

I have tried grill blocking (the first winter) with marginal benefit, mostly in warming the car a little quicker. I did a good, neat job, but didn't think the effort was worth my time the next two years. I get really good results by following one simple technique - driving gently. I drive the speed limit, stay to the right, and brake and accelerate gently (not so gently that it annoys anyone behind me).