ddoug

Where is the dip stick?

Like the title ;I am capable of checking the trans fluid , if I can find the dip stick.

Help

There isn't one. The transmission fluid is supposed to be changed at 150000 miles if I recall correctly.

I looked in the manual ; change at 100000 miles.

So if the fluid is burnt or has a problem ; I can't see this for myself.

Not good. I think mine is slipping ; gas mileage has tanked and acceleration has also. We have 83000 miles on a 2014.

I'll go to a dealer ; but I already know they are going to say it's normal.

I looked at the manual, it's 150000 miles. There is nothing to slip in an eCVT, sounds like it's some other problem.

I looked in the manual ; change at 100000 miles.

So if the fluid is burnt or has a problem ; I can't see this for myself.

Not good. I think mine is slipping ; gas mileage has tanked and acceleration has also. We have 83000 miles on a 2014.

I'll go to a dealer ; but I already know they are going to say it's normal.

Like others said, there is nothing to 'slip' as the MGs and the ICE dance around the common planetary gear set. Because of the design, fluid isn't put to that much stress - it's only jobs are cooling and lubrication. This design avoids the debris load that the old-school clutches contribute in a conventional automatic as they apply and release. Seeing that you're in TX, the recent heat may have a thing or three to do with increased fuel consumption, particularly when you run A/C to keep comfortable.

If the ICE is running more/harder, or if the MGs aren't contributing torque in the right way, it will show up first in the fuel consumption.

Edited by ElectricFan69

To check the fluid, there is a plug on the side of the transmission case, near the drivers tire. There is a picture posted somewhere on this forum.

2013 and 2014 are known to have a slow leak, so its a good idea to at least check it. You will have to lift the car to do it.

I think the fluid replacement mileage is bogus. I'd change it more often. You can only drain about 5 quarts, so its not that expensive to do.

There is an internal filter screen also, it can't be changed unless the trans is removed and disassembled. Thats why I think its better to change the fluid ahead of time, to keep it all clean.

Edited by billford

The transmission fluid is not used nor subject to the same contaminates as an automatic transmission. It's used more like a differential. The recommended maintenance interval is sufficient.

Although there are no clutches and bands. There are still bushings, bearings, gears and condensation.

I don't have 150000 miles on mine, so I don't know what the fluid would look like at that time. But I don't think it hurts to change it ahead of time or at least check it.