Sign in to follow this  
KandB

Repeating Cross Traffic System Fault

I'm new to the forum and this is my first Ford since my father's Galaxy 500 back in the 1960s. I'm looking for anyone's thoughts on a continuing error with my 2016 Fusion Hybrid. It has 2400 miles on it; we (my wife & I) bought it in May and the car had been on the dealer's lot since early December. The car is great with this one large exception.

At 639 miles, I got an on-dash error, "Cross Traffic System Fault" and the Vehicle Health Report showed "The Blind Spot Information System (BLIS)/Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) system has detected a fault." I chose to ignore it as a fluke.

At 1867 miles (3 weeks later), it repeated on the dash and the Vehicle Health Report. The report also said I had an urgent Brake System alert, "…low brake fluid level or a brake system malfunction has been detected." This time, it went to the dealer and they traced the brake error to a low battery which they replaced under warranty (the LVB based on the part number but the service rep thought it was the HVB at the time).

Two weeks later, July 15, at 2155 miles, the "Cross Traffic System Fault" is back on the dash and the VHR. It went back to the dealer. They could not reproduce the error nor pull any codes. They contacted Ford but were unable to make any progress, stating that they couldn't isolate it without a code. They aren't saying the alert is false (I gave pics of the message on the dash & the VHRs to show that it happened) but they can't trace it.

So the plan for the moment is to head back to the dealer the next time it happens, keep the car on, and have them pull codes. That's not much of a plan considering that it may not happen during business hours, etc. (I'll also spring for an OBD scanner to keep in the car.)

So here I am posting to the forum… any similar experiences? And wisdom to share? I'm not gonna let this go since it will affect future value of the car and I'll never trust the BLIS or cross-traffic alert system until it is fixed.

Thanks, anyone.

post-15377-0-55015800-1469283258_thumb.jpg

I have the same issue in my FFH 2016 and had it in my FFH 2015. I believe is some misunderstanding of the sensors, as long it does not stop working and the alerts disappear. Maybe it reads the Radar waves reflected by something while the car is stopping so it does not understand why the car going to a full stop receives a radar saying that a vehicle is coming from behind.