billandnancy1

Fusion stalls and loses power at highway speeds

My 2010 Ford Fusion stalls and loses power at highway speeds for no apparent reason. The car slows to about 40mph and this can be very dangerous while driving on a crowded highway where other cars are going faster and can easily cause an accident. After I pull off of the road and restart the engine it runs again. I called Ford corporate and they told me to have the dealer plug it in to their diagnostic computer. I did so and the dealer said the computer shows no record of a problem so they don't know what is causing the problem. I spoke with the Ford regional office and they told me that they will not assist in finding a solution. This car is too dangerous to drive and I may have to buy another car; certainly not a Ford. I note that other Fusion owners have reported this same problem. Can anyone help?

Bill Bryant

Is this car a hybrid? Dirty throttle bodies can cause this. What alarms or warnings are displayed?

Edited by lolder

Update 8/23/16 throttle body did not fix problem. See next post.

I just had a similar experience. Within the last three days my 2010 fusion hybrid has quit three times. Two of those times were on the interstate.

I researched similar problems with non-hybrid fusions and decided to contact ford regarding any potential extended warranty.

There is no extended warranty for my vehicle as of yet. The dealer wanted over $300 to replace a $100 part(throttlebody). I decided to replace the part myself.

I had the old part off within 5 minutes. And the new part was on in less time. I did not do the throttle reset and calibration procedure and as of this writing

I have not been able to recreate the problem. I don't have many miles on the fix but will keep the forum updated.

Edited by alfonzo27

The above throttle body did not fix my stalling problem. Its actually a not-restarting problem. I replaced the Fuel Pump module relay next for 65 dollars from ford.

Part #aa8z9d370b So far so good. I will report if problem persists.

Edit 8/23/2016

Problem persisted.

The FFH finally threw a code today while traveling on the interstate. P1450. This code relates to the EVAP system.

Oreilly's was able to supply me with the diagnostic for this code. I was able to trace the problem back to the EVAP canister

purge solenoid. This solenoid is very close to the throttle body. This valve is a normally closed valve so with the engine running and the

wiring unplugged there should be no vacuum on the top inlet tube. If there is vacuum on the top port the valve is stuck open. I removed

the valve and confirmed the valve was open as air would pass through from one port to the other freely.

I removed the valve and squirted WD in both ends then beat on it a little. After massaging her a little the valve was now in the closed position.

Once again i will report back if all is not well. At a minimum the permanent vacuum leak was fixed, for now.

Would have been nice if a code was thrown earlier. My fault for "parts replacing". Could have cost next to nothing to fix.

Update 9/10/2016: Since cleaning purge solenoid the car has not stalled or had any starting problems of any sort.

If you start experiencing problems with car not starting after fueling the problem may lay in the evap solenoid.

Fuel vapor floods the intake manifold and displaces oxygen which prevents car from starting.

Edited by alfonzo27

Regarding the above stalling post. After freeing up the evap purge control solenoid with wd40 i have not had one stalling instance at any point with my fusion. I have been averaging about 16,000 miles a year. Sometimes i will just squirt a little lube in the solenoid for good measure. P.S. Also did the battery age reset proceedure. Sorry no link. By using forscan and a obdII to usb adaptor i was able to change how old the computer thinks the battery is. I now have my mileage back and am averaging 42 on my commute that is about 75:25 city interstate:city residential. Also the time lag between pressing accelerator to actual launch is much quicker. Previously i would mash accelerator and wait...then take off. It was disconcerting when attempting to pull out in front of people...ha. GLTA I may repost some of this info elsewhere in the thread as both issues were almost a dealbreaker.

Hrrm. My 2010 non hybrid had a recall recently for the evap purge control solenoid. Check into that. Fixed for free. I understand it to be a common problem of Fords of that era, but what do I know.

Evap thingie, when exhibiting bad behavior, will flex your fuel tank... A flexed fuel tank will ultimately leak fuel... Extremely undesirable.

Regarding the above stalling post. After freeing up the evap purge control solenoid with wd40 i have not had one stalling instance at any point with my fusion. I have been averaging about 16,000 miles a year. Sometimes i will just squirt a little lube in the solenoid for good measure. P.S. Also did the battery age reset proceedure. Sorry no link. By using forscan and a obdII to usb adaptor i was able to change how old the computer thinks the battery is. I now have my mileage back and am averaging 42 on my commute that is about 75:25 city interstate:city residential. Also the time lag between pressing accelerator to actual launch is much quicker. Previously i would mash accelerator and wait...then take off. It was disconcerting when attempting to pull out in front of people...ha. GLTA I may repost some of this info elsewhere in the thread as both issues were almost a dealbreaker.

I appreciate the useful and thoughtful post to help others.

I'm sure others do as well.