Sign in to follow this  
Automate

Tesla driver killed in crash while using car's 'Autopilot'

"Joshua D. Brown, of Canton, Ohio, died in the accident May 7 in Williston, Florida, when his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes, according to government records obtained Thursday."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ee71bd075fb948308727b4bbff7b3ad8/self-driving-car-driver-died-after-crash-florida-first

I still want self-driving cars to become mainstream, but at the same time I believe all self-driving cars should allow a human to manually override the controls if worst comes to worst, and this incident certainly makes a case for that.

He could have braked easily but one news source said watching a DVD prevented him from seeing the problem!

I like the FFH's use of radar to sense approaching objects but it is annoying when it starts to brake for a cyclist on the shoulder - along with the collision alert!