rwhgme

Sulphur Smell on Acceleration

Ok experts. When accelerating hard on an on ramp, or up a steep hill, ac on, ac off, windows cracked, windows closed, I get a sulphur smell in the car. 17,000 miles, 46.4mpg lifetime. Typically fueled at Phillips 66 or HyVee gas stations using non ethanol regular or 10% ethanol regular. It only happens when engine is running at 4000 rpms or higher. Help!?

I get the smell of coffee under those circumstances (different nose), but never led to any problems... that I know of with 41,000 miles on mine, a 2014.

Sulfur smells used to be signs of a new catalytic converter. Done anything to the exhaust lately? The cat *should* get most of the stink out of the the exhaust. A tank or two of leaded gas will kill the cat, and cause such issues, though I have no idea where you could have picked up leaded gas.

75k miles on our 2013. Never had that problem.

AVGAS is the only gas I know that has lead in it. :detective:

Paul

Car has almost 36,000 miles. Only burn unleaded without ethanol. Still does it. No performance issues. Just a Sulphur stink.

Try some unleaded with ethanol. Why do you not use gas with ethanol? Gas without is much more expensive and the performance/mpg increase not cost effective.

Because I can...I use non ethanol premium in my Harley. Also, when I buy my groceries, I get gas discounts. The highest I have paid for Non Ethanol regular has been 1.09 a gallon.

Because I can...I use non ethanol premium in my Harley. Also, when I buy my groceries, I get gas discounts. The highest I have paid for Non Ethanol regular has been 1.09 a gallon.

That is a great discount, what octane is it?

Paul

87 Octane. I have used both 10% and non ethanol. In KC our ethanol regular runs about 2.489 a gallon. Non ethanol regular runs about 2.599-2.699 a gallon.

I get the same odor. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that when the engines under heavy load, the cat converter gets hot and burns off what ever deposits are inside it.

Otherwise in normal driving, with the gas engine and battery mode switching, the cat converter stays warm, not hot.