Sign in to follow this  
machoman1337

California residents - please advise :)

I will be temporarily relocating to California for graduate school in about 2 months. I will swap cars with my parents before I move, and bring a US model Lexus LS430 with me (we intend to sell it anyways, and it is easier to import since the EPA label and original bill-of-sale are automatic proof of compliance).

I've been doing research on the procedure for getting my car registered and insured in California, and would like to confirm if I have the procedure correctly outlined. For safety, I won't cancel the Canadian insurance (which covers me for up to 60 days outside my province, including the US) until after I am fully settled in.

This is what I believe is the correct procedure:

1. Get a smog check
  2. Get a California insurance policy - I've emailed GEICO and Farmers and it seems like I can buy a policy while still having a Canadian driver's license and Canadian license plates. Apparently insurance is tied to the VIN and not the registration? Please confirm.
  3. Go to the DMV to get my California title and plates
  4. Pass my written test and road test at the DMV

The part I'm least sure about is whether I should do #3 before #2. Some people say that showing my Canadian insurance to the DMV is fine, while others say I absolutely need to get the CA insurance first. Either way, I'd like to get California plates asap and I only have 20 days to do so.

Additionally, once I get a California driver's license, is it necessary to update details with the DMV and insurance? Do they even note your DL number on the insurance and registration?

Finally, I am thinking of trading in for a plug-in hybrid when I graduate next year. I don't plan to stick around in California, and will likely return to Canada, at least in the short term. Does anyone know how the federal/state EV rebate system works? I originally thought of buying a plug-in back in the province of Ontario, but the law requires me to reside in the province for a minimum of 12 months after buying the car, otherwise I forfeit the rebate. If I can get the federal and state rebates right away and then leave the state (and possibly the country) after less than a month without any penalty, that would be awesome.

Federal is not a rebate. It is a tax credit. You don't get it until the following year when you file the tax return for the previous year. You have to owe at least the value of the credit to get it all.

Federal is not a rebate. It is a tax credit. You don't get it until the following year when you file the tax return for the previous year. You have to owe at least the value of the credit to get it all.

That sucks, but fair enough I guess, otherwise it would lead to federal funds being abused by non-residents.