Sign in to follow this  
Griswald

300 Mile Tank Club!

Just had a 300 mile tank!

I put my 13 foot kayak on top and drive around 350 miles on 95 with the cruise set at 73. Speed limit is 70 most of the way.

Wow, average was 30.7 mpg. I filled the tank with 10.5 gallons at 300 miles.

Aerodynamics play a huge role in efficiency.

Funny! Never thought about a low miles tank club. I suppose with a FFH it would be almost as challenging to become a member of these clubs as the 500+ clubs.

I think that result was fairly predictable. You might get a reduction from normal almost that large with a bike rack, even one installed on the rear of the trunk or a trailer hitch.

A necessary part of the DNA of hybrid and all-electric vehicles is the lowest coefficient of drag that the engineers can reasonably achieve. Any external modification just wreaks havoc with that CD.

I think that result was fairly predictable. You might get a reduction from normal almost that large with a bike rack, even one installed on the rear of the trunk or a trailer hitch.

A necessary part of the DNA of hybrid and all-electric vehicles is the lowest coefficient of drag that the engineers can reasonably achieve. Any external modification just wreaks havoc with that CD.

We have hit 450 miles with bikes on the hitch rack. Bikes were on the rack for at least 400 of those miles. The majority (80%) of my wife's driving between the months of May and September are with her bike on the hitch rack and she consistently gets 44+ mpg.

Edited by jeffo65

Here is my total trip info:

19:54:20 time

1109.9 miles

229.0 EV

35.8 mpg

30.96 gallons

The middle 450 miles was driven at much slower speeds, around 55 mph and I was back up around 40 mpg, that's why the average went up to 35.8.

At one point, I was basically falling down a mountain and pressed the hill assist. My Ultra Gauge showed that I was getting around 50 mpg while it was engaged, I think the gauge was measuring air flow instead of air/fuel flow...might contact them to see if they can update their program.