Sign in to follow this  
Shirt Pockets

"Stop Safely Now", Loud Engine

So today while driving around town, I noticed the engine sounding louder than normal. Same general sound, and not significantly louder, but a noticeable enough increase in volume. After stopping to get groceries, the check engine light was on upon turning on the car. This was late at night, and I needed to get home (about two miles), so I just headed home. Anyways, twice on the way there, the "Stop Safely Now" warning came on, accompanied by a complete loss of power (except a little generated by the electric battery I assume). Turning the car off and on fixed the power loss/stop safely now issue, but not the noise or check engine light issue. Any ideas? I don't know of any particular reason for this, with the only remote possibility being that I filled up with gas today. Also, this happened once before, probably a month or two ago. However, by the time I returned to the car in the morning to check it out again, the check engine light was gone, and it drove normally.

Any thoughts?

I just had the exact same problem last Thursday and Friday. There is a software update that will 'fix' this. I put it in quotes because this happen to me almost a year ago exactly and they said the software update 'fixed' it and it would never happen again. A year later, and another freeway, my car turned off.

For reference, the update is TSB 13-12-24. "Hybrid - Red Triangle Lamp and Possible No-Start"

Good luck.

Hate to bring this thread back from the grave, but was TSB 13-12-24 the official resolution for this problem? I have a 2013 FFH with 84K miles and suffered the same symptoms of loud engine and "stop safely now". I had Autozone pull the CEL code this morning and they came back with P0340 (Cam position Sensor fault on Bank 1).

Tried researching the error code for the hybrid model but yielded no results. Just curious if it's something I can handle myself or if I have to take it to the dealership?

Cam position sensor is $22.80 at fordparts.com. Maybe less at your dealer. Maybe less 3rd part at the local auto parts store. Looks like one bolt, one connector, on the top of the engine. Might take 5 minutes to replace yourself - you won't get dirty. Maybe $100? to have a local garage take care of it.

Part #: DU97 (6B288) at fordparts.com

Edited by ethermion