sschnath

Does defroster setting automatically turn on AC compressor?

In all the cars I've owned previously, selecting the defroster automatically turned on the AC compressor (even though the AC light would not activate). The only time the compressor would not come on is when the exterior temp was below freezing.

But I've noticed in the Fusion that while the max defrost setting is a great convenience feature on frosty mornings, the side and back windows can get a little foggy in defrost mode on cool rainy days where the AC doesn't turn on automatically. That was never an issue in my other cars so I'm assuming that the compressor is not coming on automatically in defrost mode.

I assume Ford did that intentionally to maximize MPGs and it's probably working as intended. While it's easy enough to hit the AC button after selecting defrost, I'm just wondering if I've missed a menu setting that would allow for one button operation or is it actually turning on the compressor and it just doesn't work well? The AC works fine so that's not the issue.

Put the power usage thingy in your My View on the left cluster. If the climate indicator is showing, that means the A/C compressor is running. (Usual disclaimer applies) :)

Put the power usage thingy in your My View on the left cluster. If the climate indicator is showing, that means the A/C compressor is running. (Usual disclaimer applies) :)

Excellent suggestion. I will give that a try. Thanks!

That is how I have configured my "My View" (also configured engine temp for the other half of "My View") and based on the spike in climate power usage it does seem to indicate that the A/C compressor is running whenever defrost is on.

I've even often wondered if the A/C is running when I have it turned off. A lot of time I simply want outside air coming in and the air seems pretty cold coming in through the vents making me believe the A/C is indeed running. I will look at the Climate energy usage and try this test again.

The A/C compressor is needed to dehumidify the incoming air so it can evaporate condensation on the inside of the windshield. If humid air is blown on the windshield the fogging will get worse.

I've noticed recently that when it's raining and in the 60s outside, and the CC is set to 72 and in Auto, that when I press the defrost button (not max defrost) the temperature of the air flowing from the CC unit is much colder than the moderately warm air previously. If the AC compressor is coming on, I would like the CC to add heat to make the outflowing air about the same temperature as before, but it doesn't do that.

I've even often wondered if the A/C is running when I have it turned off. A lot of time I simply want outside air coming in and the air seems pretty cold coming in through the vents making me believe the A/C is indeed running. I will look at the Climate energy usage and try this test again.

If you've never updated the software in your 2013 then yes, it does come on. There was an update that fixes that.