My2cents

CVT, regenerative braking and....

Use "L" as much as possible. Low give you the maximum braking without friction as you can get. Just remember, it doesn't take long to recharge a hybrid's battery, so when the battery is charged back up, your engine will come on to brake with compression.

Why not just engage the Grade Assist button?

When the HVB becomes full going down a long hill, the transmission automatically uses the ICE for "compression" braking. It uses no fuel in this manner. It's a very clever way of avoiding mechanical brake use. Trucks use it all the time.

Ohhh, so you have a 1986 hybrid? Funny, but my fathers 2016 Subaru is running during engine breaking and thus using fuel. But its not 30 years old, so...

What these guys are saying is true and maybe the term "running" is misleading in this case. The crankshaft of the ICE is turning and the pistons are going up and down but no fuel is being injected into the cylinders and no combustion is occurring. The ICE is simply being used as an air compressor resulting in a braking effect when going down hill. This is not peculiar to only hybrids. My Ford Focus had the same capability.

Any time the engine is running, it is burning fuel.

I think what was meant about Grade Assist operation, was that the engine is engaged or turning, not necessarily "running," per se. While the sound it makes might be disconcerting, I believe it to be normal for this car. Of course, my passengers always think there's something going wrong... Edited by md13ffhguy