Anyone else have one of these... my SEL has it... damned thing will only dim if the back window is completely clear and someone is at exactly the right distance behind me.

Now that it's winter, any rain or wetness whatsoever on the back window prevents the mirror from dimming.

Is there some way to force it to dim? I'm about ready to rip it out and toss it out the window. Should I call the service manager and discuss it with him? Anyone heard of any TSPs on this?

FYI I have friend with a new F-150 Lariet, same mirror. His works fine. I wonder if it's just the fact that the Fusion has that really high trunk.

Anyone else have one of these... my SEL has it... damned thing will only dim if the back window is completely clear and someone is at exactly the right distance behind me.

The two recessed spaces under the mirror itself are the light sensors... Unfortunately, due to the high trunk, headlights hit our eyes well before they hit the sensors, so the mirror only activates when the car behind us is far enough back.

It's a serious design-flaw, and one for which I fear there is probably no fix.

(My old Explorer Limited had the auto-dimming mirror and it worked PERFECTLY, because the sensor was in the top-right corner, in addition, there was an override button on the lower-left corner which would fully dim the mirror at a touch... I'm kind of sad they did away with perfectly good design.)

The two recessed spaces under the mirror itself are the light sensors... Unfortunately, due to the high trunk, headlights hit our eyes well before they hit the sensors, so the mirror only activates when the car behind us is far enough back.

It's a serious design-flaw, and one for which I fear there is probably no fix.

(My old Explorer Limited had the auto-dimming mirror and it worked PERFECTLY, because the sensor was in the top-right corner, in addition, there was an override button on the lower-left corner which would fully dim the mirror at a touch... I'm kind of sad they did away with perfectly good design.)

I wonder if we turned the mirror 108 degrees, to put the sensors on top, if that would help. I know you're right about the light not hitting them... I have tested by holding my hand up in front of the mirror... the light from behind shows up on the upper half of the my hand but not the bottom.

I wonder if we turned the mirror 108 degrees, to put the sensors on top, if that would help.

I've thought about that... And I think it would indeed work. But then the mirror would be upside down and I'm not sure I could personally live with that.

Also, I wonder if we wrote to the manufacturer if they have suggestions?

That's probably not a bad idea... Not for suggestions, but if enough people complained, perhaps they would issue a fix of some sort?

I'll try turning mine 180 degrees tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. It'll look a little odd but if it works, that would be a good tradeoff. I can't stand all that glare.

I'll try turning mine 180 degrees tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. It'll look a little odd but if it works, that would be a good tradeoff. I can't stand all that glare.

I decided to try just this... It not only works perfectly... But I can EASILY live with the upside-down mirror, doesn't look all THAT weird.

Hmmm, mine won't dim that way either... the light seems to hit the glass only not the sensors... I'm thinking of calling the service manager and complaining about this (as a safety issue) and seeing if they'll swap it for a regular manual dimming mirror instead.

I've been monitoring several sites on behalf of Ford and this is the first time I've read about a problem with the dimming feature on the Fusion rearview mirror. I'd recommend that you take the vehicle to the dealership to inspect and test. I also checked for TSB's for this or related concerns and I couldn't find any for any Fusion model year. However, I'll forward a copy of this thread to the Fusion team. If you have additional feedback you'd like to share with Ford, please visit ford.com. Your comments and suggestions will be forwarded to the proper department for review.

We have 3 identical Fusion SELs in our local office... all of us have the same problem.

One of the 3 has an F-150 with the identical mirror, and it works fine in his truck.

I called the local Ford dealer (Apple in Columbia MD) and the service manager called me back again, asked for my VIN, but that's the last I heard from him.

It isn't that the mirror doesn't work- it does- but only if conditions are exactly right. I'm getting tired of having bright lights in my eyes as I drive at night.

Will Ford install a regular mirror for free, to solve this problem? I'm ready to rip it off the windshield and do without it.

I just got mine on Wednesday and I agree. So far, the non dimming mirror is my only complaint. I doubt it can be swapped out in my case since it has sync built into it (not to mention the fact that I paid for an auto dimming mirror!).

I did the 180 flip some time ago and it helped quite a bit, but then you get the sun in the eyes when it's not quite low enough to hit the sensors, although this situation doesn't happen as often. I agree that there should be a switch to manually dim the mirror. I also feel like knocking it off the windshield at times, it doesn't always dim, or dim enough.

Just another design team flaw of several on the Fusion that I can elaborate on.

Ray

I am also seeing this issue with my brand new SEL.

I wonder if there is a common link. People seeing the issue, do you have a factory installed spoiler? I dont and I have this problem. I think it all has to do with the rear window third break light in SEL's without a spoiler. Doesn't having a factory spoiler take away the rear window brake light and put it in the spoiler? I wonder if this is what is making the difference. One of these days I will get my car into the service department and have them look into it.

It's not a problem for me. Mine works just fine.

Just got my 08 SE yesterday off the lot and drove it all night was very very impressed with the tinting it provided!

The auto-dim mirror on my '08 SEL w/ SAP works just fine. I believe at least one person has removed the package tray mounted 3rd taillight (after installing the SAP spoiler with integrated 3rd tail) and found that the auto-dim works afterword. Hard to imagine that a small lump for the 3rd tail would block the lights, but just might be a minor design flaw.

Just got mine, and I do not have this problem, it works very well. However, I do have the Factory Spoiler, and since the stop light in intergrated in that, I can see where it may be a problem if those sensors were blocked by the hump from center stoplight in the back window.

I have an 08 SE that has this problem too. Tried the 180 degree flip and it helped l lot, but the compass reading on the dash got all screwy. Tried recal'ing but didn't help. Flipped the mirror back and the compass works. So now I've been paying attention to other car's third brake lights... some are made of LED's and are not as tall as ours. Do you think replacing the third brake light with something like that would help? I'm probably not going to add a spoiler to my car, so finding other ways to solve this issue is important.

My wife and I just bought an '09 fusion SEL this week. Quite wonderfully enough, since the day we drove it off the lot it hasn't done anything but rain (love Michigan!). So far the auto dim on our mirror has worked fine, so I would agree with one of the other posters and say take it into the shop if you haven't already.

Good luck!

Hi, I Just had a 08 SE loaner vehicle with the auto dim, and no spoiler.

Guess what? I saw exactly what people were talking about.

I think that I may have something to do with the CHMSL and the mirror sensors.

I would expect that enough complaints would generate a TSB, but as to what would be done, who knows.

Hi, I Just had a 08 SE loaner vehicle with the auto dim, and no spoiler.

Guess what? I saw exactly what people were talking about.

I think that I may have something to do with the CHMSL and the mirror sensors.

I would expect that enough complaints would generate a TSB, but as to what would be done, who knows.

Well I did my part and called Ford of Canada to issue a complaint about it. It took me a while to explain to the customer service rep what what happening. I doubt anything will ever be done about it, still love the car despite the one design flaw.

I have a suggestion here.

I don't have any issue with the mirrior, it works great for me. BUT My wife has similar issues as some of you...same car different driver. Here is what I have found.

When I drive the car I like the mirrior raised as high to the roofline as possible so I can get a view of the traffic to the right at corners.

My wife grabs the thing and drags it down low. I think the light gets blocked by the rear of the car so the mirrior never tints completely. It tints, but not deep enough. Our car is equipped with a factory raised type spoiler.

So, if you guys would be so kind as to try raising the mirrior as high as possible and then adjusting it, we might understand if it a real issue or if it has to do with position.

Just an idea, but as I said we have the same problem with 1 of 2 drivers.

Oz

I have an '09 SEL with the spoiler. The mirror has been terrific! I had been reading the forums for a quite a while, so I made a point of telling the dealer about this issue...along the lines of "I'm glad I'm getting the spoiler, so the mirror will work properly".

One of the other salespeople there mentioned that he did NOT have the spoiler and his mirror worked just fine. I suspect the cause may very well be the positioning of the mirror---if it's aimed too low, most of the light that would otherwise hit the sensors hits the decklid instead.