Howie411

Weird new MyFord Touch Phonebook issue

So I'm about 80% sure this started after my Android Phone got Android 6 (Marshmallow) but need to double check if its happening on my wife car and she has the same phone (different Ford).

Anyways it seems like the phonebook is all messed up. (I've even tried restarting the phone, deleting it, repairing it etc).

Anyways 1/2 my contacts are missing and the ones that are there are randomly listed. For instance A-F (shows everything contact up to Ted Britt Ford (which starts with a T). G-L shows everything starting at G and ends again at Ted Britt Ford, same for M-S (Has everyone from M to Ted Britt Ford. T-Z (All this has is Ted Britt Ford).

So its like its not putting the correct names in the correct letter groups and completely missing some contacts.

P.S. This is on a 2014 FFH with My Ford Touch 3.8 installed.

Any ideas?

So I'm about 80% sure this started after my Android Phone got Android 6 (Marshmallow) but need to double check if its happening on my wife car and she has the same phone (different Ford).

Anyways it seems like the phonebook is all messed up. (I've even tried restarting the phone, deleting it, repairing it etc).

Anyways 1/2 my contacts are missing and the ones that are there are randomly listed. For instance A-F (shows everything contact up to Ted Britt Ford (which starts with a T). G-L shows everything starting at G and ends again at Ted Britt Ford, same for M-S (Has everyone from M to Ted Britt Ford. T-Z (All this has is Ted Britt Ford).

So its like its not putting the correct names in the correct letter groups and completely missing some contacts.

P.S. This is on a 2014 FFH with My Ford Touch 3.8 installed.

Any ideas?

Hey Howie411,

Have you had a chance to test your phone in your wife's vehicle? If so, which SYNC system does she have: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/get-started-with-sync/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html

Is her software up-to-date as well: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

Whitney

So I just confirmed the same issue on my wife's 2013 C-MAX, she is running version 3.8.

On my phone it does the same thing, stops at Ted Britt Ford, but each letter group basically lists all the contacts. On my wife phone (who also has the same phone model) her displays every contact, so for instance. A-F shows every contact through Z. G-L shows every contact starting at G going to Z. etc. So is this an issue with MyFord Touch or an Android issue? Anyone else have an HTC One M8 running Android 6 and can test this?

Edited by Howie411

Hi Howie411,

I think you might be right about this happening after the Android update. I haven't received Marshmellow yet and wasn't able to reproduce this, but I also don't have the same phone. Let's dig a little deeper into your phone since you seem to be having more issues than your wife. Where are your contacts stored: Are they on your phone, in a cloud, pulled from a different app, or on the SD card (if it has one)?

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

All my contacts are stored on my Gmail account, same place they always have been. Not sure how Ford pulls that information from the phone. Under phonebook it just lists all my contacts.

Would it be possible to put your contacts on your phone instead of being pulled from your Gmail account? Marshmallow could have changed something and SYNC no longer reads your phonebook the same way.

Rebecca

Would it be possible to put your contacts on your phone instead of being pulled from your Gmail account? Marshmallow could have changed something and SYNC no longer reads your phonebook the same way.

Rebecca

The way he described is how Android phones work. The contacts are stored on the phone and are backed up to a Google account. Edited by md13ffhguy

I don't use Google for my Android phone's backups, so I'm not sure what that process is. However, if my contacts are stored on my SD card instead of my SIM card or internal storage, then not all of the information gets pulled to SYNC. Also, if Google Hangouts or other apps are set as the primary text and/or call app, then SYNC generally doesn't pull the contact information; this goes for Outlook contacts as well.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. On an Android device you can pull contacts from multiple locations. They can be saved on the phone, they can be pulled from Twitter, any email account, basically anything that can associate a person with a #. The vast majority of people have theirs stored on their Google Account, which is what Android phones use to allow you to access the App store etc.

Anyways I reached out to someone I know at HTC and he said he has heard from some other folks of an issue with Ford and Android 6 (Marshmallow) too. I I don't know at this point whose issue it is, Googles, HTC, Ford. Though based on how long it takes any of these 3 companies to update their devices, I'm not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon, which really stinks.