DrDeke

Brake Quirks Under 5 mph?

This is a new behavior to the 2010-12 models. Below 5 mph, only the mechanical brakes slow the car. Take the car where you can "slam" on the brakes hard a few times from slow to moderate speeds. They might be sticking or something. The mechanical brakes are first applied by an electrically powered piston in the brake master cylinder. If that doesn't work the brake pedal arm contacts the piston mechanically an inch or more further down and applies the brakes. I would think that would throw a DTC. Until you get a DTC or it happens most of the time the dealer will have difficulty fixing it.

Yes, I know about the wet brake phenomenon and have experienced it many times. It is more of a "grabbing" effect in the 2010-12s instead of a "loss" of braking. Many hybrid cars have had braking anomalies including Prii which was similar , I think, to what Hybridbear has complained about. The situation that the OP described has not re-appeared since the "Customer Satisfaction 10 B 13" was done to early cars in 2010. A lot of things have to interact properly in hybrid braking; the mechanical and regen mixing, the ABS and the traction control. I think the OP's car has a fault somewhere.

Interestingly, the Tesla S does not mix regen and friction braking. The max regen is available through the accelerator pedal in the default setting. I had recommended that the accelerator pedal be called the "Go" pedal but now it is also a "Slow" pedal in the Tesla. The Tesla brake pedal only operates the mechanical brakes. There is a large amount of regen braking available. New owners who were leery of the new behavior have said they got used to it in 1/2 an hour and now only use the mechanical brakes to completely stop the car. The new "autopilot" system apparently has full control of both braking systems.