shrig31

2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE mpg?

In Maryland, I see my lowest MPG from late November through about the end of March. However, Spring, Summer, and Fall more than make up for the bleak Winter months! In the end, it should even out. You probably won't be so concerned if your MPG jumps to 46 in a few months.

It would be interesting to test your Odometer with a GPS to see how accurate it is. I'm thinking it will be off and you are getting an half a mpg better than you think. :)

Paul

Come on man, that's just not even significant. BTW, I've compared mine a few times in both of my cars and found no significant difference between GPS, odometer, and mile markers.

The 2010-12 FFH odometers uniformly read about 2 % low. That's about 1 mpg. The fuel computers read about 4% high. The net mpg was about 1 mpg less than the computers calculated

I get this in pretty much any car I drive. EPA tests are done under ridiculously ideal conditions - conditions so predictable that Volkswagen was able to program its cars to cheat the test.

My lifetime average is about 37.3 mpg. I've had trips where I easily broke 45 or even 50, usually if downhill driving was involved. I've also had trips where I didn't even make 30 mpg - they were long uphill journeys on mountain roads, or in exceptionally horrible gridlock.

Traffic conditions and the climate can have a big impact on fuel economy. Hybrids perform best in stop-and-go conditions, but if things are 95% stop and 5% go, the engine will start turning on without the car actually moving, and that kills fuel economy. Liberal use of the heater in the winter is also a great way to sap fuel economy - I personally set mine to 16-17 Celsius in defog mode, because my jacket already protects me from the cold and the seat heaters are more energy efficient anyway.

While I agree with most everything you said above, I do disagree with the part where you say "Hybrids perform best in stop-and-go", at least as far as FFHs go.

I get the best fuel economy when I am able to just "go" with no "stop", since the FFH uses up much more gas to accelerate back up to speed, then it does if I can drive at a constant 30-40 MPH, due to the effects of inertia and all that Newton's laws stuff. It takes me much less gas to keep going at a constant slower speed than it does to get the heavy FFH accelerated again from a stop. It is very much the same effect as watching the needle on the gas gauge visibly move down in the gas-guzzling V8s of old when you floor the accelerator pedal on them.

The recoup of energy from the regenerative braking is much, much less than the amount of energy which was expended on accelerating in the first place. You can't stop unless you first go, and that initial acceleration is the crux of the fuel economy degradation in the FFH. :)

For my specific commutes, each stop, and therefore the subsequent acceleration from a stand-still due to the stop, translates to less MPGs than I can get by keeping the mass of the FFH at a constant relatively low speed, thanks to Newton's laws.

In SW Florida today, ethanol free was $2.71.9 at Race Track. Regular 89 octane was $2.01.9. That's 25% more expensive for maybe 5% better mpg. You say they run better on 100%. How? Do they miss or stutter on the ethanol mix? Do they have more power? 10% ethanol may have 4% less energy per gallon. Using ethanol free for off road uses may be fine but I think it's a waste of money for vehicles.

Let the games begin, again.

$.20 is a lot different story than $.70. I don't know if the modern sealed vapor systems allow water vapor in. I agree the ethanol mandates are subsidies for the farmers. Ethanol from corn is ridiculous.