Jacksonjd01

Defective mileage in my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

As you've seen here, if you've read through some threads, mileage varies per driver, conditions, climate, speed, etc... You can't just drive this car any way you please and get the best MPG. So, it might be your doing, or just the nature of your commute and where you live. Most likely, it's a combination of things.

There was at least one poster who never was able to get proper mileage whose plugs were sooty and was obviously defectively running too rich. If this poster has never gotten good mileage at moderate temperatures and speeds, maybe this is another case.

If you run this car warmed up with no AC on 10 miles or more on a straight flat quiet road at a steady 50 mph with the temp at 60º F. and no wind. It should get about 49 mpg. Reset one of your mpg displays once established at the speed to get the reading. The SOC of the HVB has to be the same at beginning and end. Increased or decreased temperature affects the mpg +/- 2 mpg per +/- 10º F change.

Edited by lolder

I mentioned the steady state road test to see if there could be a problem. There have been some lemons that Ford couldn't fix. I believe the poster was acdii. If the test yields 40 mpg instead of 49. something's wrong with the car. The conditions have to be as I specified.

Edited by lolder

Can you Post a picture of your Life Time Score when you shut off your car so we can get your ratio of EV to ICE miles? What speed do you usually drive at? Do you have 50 PSI in your tires? :)

Paul

I don't think it's proper to suggest such a radical increase in tire pressure to just anyone. That's not going to be an instant cure for him anyhow, and it could prove to be unsafe.

I don't think it's proper to suggest such a radical increase in tire pressure to just anyone. That's not going to be an instant cure for him anyhow, and it could prove to be unsafe.

Running 50 PSI is unnecessary to achieve good MPG in these cars. I keep my tires between 35 and 38 PSI and after 23,000 miles the hand calculated MPG is a tad over 45 MPG.

Sorry but I was referring to the OP, at this point I question whether he is real because He has 1 Post and hasn't bothered to respond. ;)

Not only has the OP not bothered to respond, but also his/her last login was the very same day and time he/she made his/her one single post to this forum. So he/she hasn't even bothered to check back to see if any of us have posted any solutions for him/her. :drop: :banghead:

Edited by Hybrider

There is no good reason to run your tires less than 38PSI, FORD's recommended tire pressure. From OM " The cold inflation pressure should never be set lower than the recommended pressure on the Vehicle label."

The vehicle label on my 2015 FFH says 35 PSI and I assume that is what the label states on all FFHs. I cannot find anywhere in the FFH OM that states 38 PSI is the Ford recommended tire pressure.

I'm coming from experience with 122K mi. on my CMAX, 64K on first set and 58K on second set so far and tires are wearing nice and even. Michelin's Max Cold air pressure is 51, so what's the problem here? I know someone that has run 55PSI for along time, excessive to me. BTW there are alot of CMAX/FFH members using around 50psi in their tires and no one has commented on any problems. :)

Paul

That's exactly the problem - you're coming from experience. Increasing pressure, even to that level, may affect handling and responsiveness. You have no idea if the person reading this has that type of awareness of their vehicle's handling. Surprisingly, many people don't understand the effects, and may have no idea how to adjust or react. So, making such a recommendation seems a little reckless. That's all I meant. Please don't take it personally.

The Manufactures 38psi rating is going to be a compromise between ride quality, wet and dry stopping, wet and dry corning and MPG.

Can you please tell us where you found the "manufactures 38psi rating"? As I indicated earlier the vehicle label on FFHs indicates 35 PSI.