Sign in to follow this  
thrasher086

Too Many Replacements

So my car has officially been at the dealership for 3 weeks over what I feel, is a basic thing to be replaced. I had the dealership install illuminated door sills for me back in September. I thought it was a good idea to pay the pros to install the parts since it involved taking of the sunglasses holder/ center console buttons and a bunch of other plastic trim in the car. After install was done, I thought all was well.

I began to notice a few days later that the sunglasses holder was starting to sag and come off from the headliner. This was due to the implanted door sills being installed and that part needed to be removed to splice the power. I decided it wasn't anything major and waited till something needed more attention which now gets back to 3 weeks ago. I brought it in to have my GPS location corrected and the BLIS acting up.

So they replaced the sunglasses holder for me and the issue was still there. You can easily pull the part away from the headliner. I come back and they hand me out a loaner. A week ago they then order some clips that may have broke. I get a call today thinking I can pick up my car but now I am being told that the headliner is worn which is causing the issue. They now have to order a new one which will take a week to get. I can pick up the car though and come back when it's in.

I am worried now that this is going to ruin other things in the car since it's a big part. Anyone ever get something like this replaced that can share their opinion?

Edited by thrasher086

I have had similar problems in the past when attempting to have aftermarket accessories added. I came to the reluctant conclusion many years ago that aftermarket things generally do not work as well as factory installed accessories and options. I had splash guards installed on my 2015 FFH at the dealership and they did a fine job with that but I am no longer brave enough to have them do anything more complicated than that.

Edited by Texasota

Early 2013 FFHs had headliner issues. I believe one FFH owner had so many issues that he ended up suing Ford & receiving a settlement. You can search for some of the old TSBs or threads about the issue. Most owners that had the headliner replaced reported that it was a nightmare because the dealer did a poor job. We had some issues with rattling in our FFH & the dealer broke clips & caused all sorts of problems when they were supposed to be fixing things...

I have a used Job 1 2013. My sunglasses holder started peeling away early last year. The first attempt to replace it resulted in a broken spare part and an apology.

The second attempt was successful and I also received the Job 2 version with hard buttons rather than capacitive touch ones.

Kinda worrying to see that you have a 2014 and you also have the problem...

I have a used Job 1 2013. My sunglasses holder started peeling away early last year. The first attempt to replace it resulted in a broken spare part and an apology.

The second attempt was successful and I also received the Job 2 version with hard buttons rather than capacitive touch ones.

Kinda worrying to see that you have a 2014 and you also have the problem...

Machoman, the problem wasn't because of something going bad in the car. It all started because of a lazy mechanic ripping plastic parts out of my car to finish an install broke it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences because I feel this is going to be a bigger problem once they replace the headliner.

I installed the lighted door sills myself. I broke the clip on the driver's side. They are not very sturdy. I used a steel bolt to bolt the assembly in place. It was not easy and I have small fingers. It is never going to come loose on its own. I doubt that you need a new headliner but I'm not there to see what it looks like after they were done messing with it.

I installed the lighted door sills myself. I broke the clip on the driver's side. They are not very sturdy. I used a steel bolt to bolt the assembly in place. It was not easy and I have small fingers. It is never going to come loose on its own. I doubt that you need a new headliner but I'm not there to see what it looks like after they were done messing with it.

I was going to do it myself but I knew I was going to break some clips. I'd end up figuring something out like you did but this is the dealer and I paid to install it. I told them I don't want it glued or some band-aid. I guess since I complained then they are trying their best to get it back to normal.

I am trying to be optimistic about it but still debating if I should throw in the towel to avoid the headliner being replaced. I am just nervous it will lead to something else rattling to more clips broke but at the same time I want the sunglasses holder to be in place.

Just an update to this. They told me the headliner was replaced and I can pick it up. I go in yesterday to see that the overhead center console is still broken and coming out and now the rear interior passenger light is broken. The service adviser said he has never seen anything like this in the 12 years of him working. I walked right back to the loaner and told him to have the manager give me a call (still didn't hear from them yet).

So now they tore apart my headliner to be in a worse position. I reached out to Rebecca to see if Ford could actually step in. We are in the 7th week of 2016 and I had my car for only 2 of those weeks. It makes me mad that mechanics sign off to this work.....

A few hours later after my post, the manager called me and started explaining how the overhead console changed in newer years and are more in place which is why the one in my loaner can not be easily pulled. The BS alarm started going off.

I looked into part numbers and it looks like 2016+ has a new number since they reduced the 5 buttons to 4 buttons and got rid of the "All Lights Off". Other than that it's just 2 different colors and one with sunroof and without. Just wanted to ask you guys if there has been any confirmation on if they actually did make better reinforcement to it or something?

I took the car the car home with what they did. It was almost on perfect but a little loose on the front. I just gave it back to them yesterday due to getting a response from a Ford rep and the dealership will take a further look. They gave me a 2016 Fusion which I was able to put off the overhead console with no problem and not breaking anything. It all snapped back into place and is fine so I don't understand what is going on.