Sign in to follow this  
Sky14FFH

Wrench light came on after a 1500 mile trip

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a 2014 Fusion Hybrid SE with 18282 miles on it. Have gotten 47-53mpg on it most of the time. In the winter (below 40 degrees) it drops to 37-44.

I just went on a 1500 mile road trip experiencing all kinds of weather including snow and rain. Averaged from fillups about 41 mpg. Returned a couple days ago. The car is still under warranty.

Yesterday, a day after returning, while coming back from shopping the wrench light came on. I stopped the vehicle, turned it off and then turned it back on and it was gone. I checked the owner's manual and the only thing it says it is a powertrain problem and to take it to the dealer.

This is pretty alarming this early in the ownership. What could be causing it? How can I identify what threw the code? I have a scangauge attached to another vehicle would that be able to read the code? Is there a record of it stored somewhere? How do I enter "Engineering Mode"? I checked all four tires and all were at nearly the exact same pressure and so adjusted them to the same 37.5psi. Thanks.

[side note: While on the trip a warning for a parking brake error appeared after I backed the car up to a sloped parking bumper (similar to a curb but just for parking spaces). I engaged and disengaged the emergency brake and the error disappeared. Perhaps I had simply not gotten it fully into the park position?]

Edited by Sky14FFH

Hi, welcome to the Forum!

Yes, getting a dash warning is disconcerting. One of the things you should do when this happens is to perform a Vehicle Health Report, this is sent to your Ford Owner's account, the Dealer can see this and note any error codes. Your Owners Manual describes how to do this procedure.

Using the Engineering Test Mode is described here: http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/10057-engineering-test-modedealer-test-mode/?p=54022

A Scan gauge is helpful for tracking error codes and such, several of our members use them.

Finally, if the error codes are present or the problem is repeatable then the Dealer is the place to get the car repaired.

A trip to your favorite Ford dealer would probably be a good idea. Especially since your FFH is still covered by the factory warranty.

This is pretty alarming this early in the ownership.

Most part failures either happen early on or late in vehicle life. Any update on what your issue was?