Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

California sets rules for self-driving cars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:47 AM

FTA:

"California unveiled precedent-setting draft rules Wednesday that would slow the public's access to self-driving cars of the future until regulators are confident the technology is safe.

That cautious approach requires that the cars have a steering wheel, and a licensed driver must be ready to take over if the machine fails."

http://www.contracos...hind?source=rss

Edited by GrySql, 17 December 2015 - 12:48 AM.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

Seems very sensible to me. Having worked in the software engineering field for more than three decades I have seen software failures resulting from pure incompetence and also from a combination of seemingly impossible circumstances that no one could have ever imagined or anticipated. When these autonomous cars start hitting the roads I predict we are going to see some spectacular failures and likely loss of life.

• GrySql likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Hybrider

Hybrider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Awesome FFH SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

... When these autonomous cars start hitting the roads I predict we are going to see some spectacular failures and likely loss of life.

But remember, we are currently seeing those same results with human drivers and  their manually operated cars.  :-O

Edit: The idea behind the auto cars is to reduce the occurrences of failures and deaths, but probably will not eliminate them entirely.

Edited by Hybrider, 18 December 2015 - 11:35 AM.

• hybridbear likes this

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE Ingot Silver (Appearance Package)

Ordered: 01/07/2014 | VIN assigned: 01/14/2014 | Window Sticker: 02/05/2014 | Build Date: 02/12/2014 | Arrived at Dealer: 02/25/2014 | Delivered: 02/27/2014

#4 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

An interesting and timely article in regards to this thread:

http://www.bloomberg...d=yhoo.headline

#5 OFFLINE   CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FF HyTi

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

But remember, we are currently seeing those same results with human drivers and  their manually operated cars.  :-O

Edit: The idea behind the auto cars is to reduce the occurrences of failures and deaths, but probably will not eliminate them entirely.

I'm not sure I agree that the idea behind the auto autos is to purely reduce accidents and deaths.  I think a major part of the autonomous vehicles is to increase convenience.  

346645.png

#6 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

Seems very sensible to me. Having worked in the software engineering field for more than three decades I have seen software failures resulting from pure incompetence and also from a combination of seemingly impossible circumstances that no one could have ever imagined or anticipated. When these autonomous cars start hitting the roads I predict we are going to see some spectacular failures and likely loss of life.

So far Google's self driving cars have never been at-fault in any of the few accidents where they were involved. 

If everyone on the planet switched to a self-driving car right now, there would definitely be a colossal reduction in accidents (and probably in the revenues of insurance companies). The real challenge right now is teaching a self-driving car how to react if an idiotic human triggers something but then again I don't have much faith in the average human reaction either. 

Unlike stupid humans, autonomous cars don't consume alcohol, smoke pot, or text on cell phones while driving. Autonomous cars don't rush into intersections without stopping to look. Autonomous cars don't tailgate people in wet conditions. Autonomous cars don't change lanes without looking. Autonomous cars don't drive on the wrong side of the road. You may not be able to fully replicate human intelligence, but you can surely avoid replicating human stupidity :)

• hybridbear, corncobs and Hybrider like this

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·