Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

2015 SE LED underbody glow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jasacabeda

Jasacabeda

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

I want to install this led underbody light kit on my 2015 HB SE. The question I have is where would I hook up the postive and ground wires to? Is there a terminal under the hood or do I need to run it to the battery in the back? Also is there a good spot to bring the switch in from under the hood to the inside?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.c...g?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ElectricFan69

ElectricFan69

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 94 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:43 AM

You have several decisions to make that will drive the integration design.  Typically grounding is pretty simple and you should be able to ground to chassis. The link doesn't show electrical details needed to make a definitive statement - the ultimate integration design and components you need to safely integrate depend on the current draw for the setup.  If the current draw is significant, you may need a relay to integrate the circuit into the 'battery saver' portion of car wiring.   

• Do you want to tie in the 'glow lites' with any existing car feature (e.g. headlights or parking lights).  If you do, then you'd tap in to the appropriate circuit for the control - but that might require you to wire in a relay, depending on the current draw. Review the electrical spec sheet carefully; rule of thumb I'd follow is to use a relay for anything more than 5 amps of draw - a very conservative approach.
  • If you want to go totally independent, look at the various power distribution/fuse boxes under the hood - there are typically a couple of open accessory positions you should be able to wire in.  
  • Wiring into the fuse box can be a PIA, but it's the safest/cleanest approach.  In any case, make sure you wire in a fuse of appropriate capacity.  I'd also be careful on the total draw - again, the reason I pose that is due to lack of electrical spec sheet on Amazon.  The deal here would be to pick an unused slot, get the appropriate fuse/holder and integrate.
  • If you have doubts on your circuit design, wiring skills and knowledge, educate yourself on the car's wiring and its limitations, or spend the $$$ for someone who has the know-how.  If you mess up, you can grenade the 12 V charging circuit, which could be a major pain in the $$$$.  
  • The 12V circuit design on the FFH is not the 'old school' belt-driven alternator and simple controls; MGs provide the high-volt current, and the 12 volt gets charged from the traction battery through a dedicated inverter circuit.  While this is a pretty versatile design, it has its quirks - which are also present in the body control modules that manage the various circuits.  Not trying to scare you, but you need to know what you are doing. Jamming in a wire to the 12V in the trunk is likely to create problems - things like the 12V going flat under mysterious circumstances.

• GrySql likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·