Sign in to follow this  

I've been meaning to tell my crazy EV+ story, so this give me the opportunity...

Since buying the car new about 2 years ago, EV+ has only ever appeared in the vicinity of my home. And, 90% of the time, I'm approaching while going downhil, so it will normally be in EV anyhow. Despite travelling to the same work location (A) at least 4 of 5 days per week, and an alternate location (B) the other day every week or two, I never saw EV+ come on anywhere but near home.

So, at the beginning of September, I started a new job in a new location ©. After driving to C every work day for a month, I was called back to location A for two weeks. (Still no sign of EV+ anywhere but home.) Then, in mid-October, I go back to location C and EV+ comes on as I approach. I didn't just look twice - I probably looked 5 times! Yep, it comes on every day now, at each end of my home-work-home commute. Btw, it's nice that it comes on at work now, because my new parking spot is in a garage, and the ICE never runs in there.

EV+ does seem to have a mind of its own. I spent three months in the south last winter escaping winter. We parked every day in the same spot and it did not decide that spot was its new home until 7-8 weeks had gone by. When we got back home it took only a few days for EV+ to relearn being home. It was a mystery to me.

EV+ will go on as my wife approaches her place of work and as we approach our home. I can drive in EV+ for 1.2 miles when approaching our house from one direction. I pass near enough, to the house, for it to go on and then it stays on while I loop up and around in our subdivision before reaching the garage.

EV+ kind of creeps me out. I didn't ask my car to track my location, and I don't see how to turn off location tracking. Am I missing something?

(And no, I don't have anything illicit to hide. I just don't appreciate being sucked, without my permission, into Big Data.)

I don't know for sure, but there's never been anything to indicate your location (collected for this purpose) ever leaves your car.

That is true for a Hybrid.

It is not true for an Energi which has a data transceiver on the AT&T cellular network.

Right, and I'm sure you consent to it somehow, if that's the case.

Speaking of EV+, is it possible that my 2018 FFH doesn't have it? I've yet to see it appear.