pdiehm

New Hybrid - First Hybrid

Congrats on the new car! I purchased both of mine from Koons. Don't let the performance over one trip bug you. It will take some time to adjust to this car. That said, that particular route will not usually be good, economy-wise. You were probably doing 65+, no? Also, were you alone, or did you have the family members you mentioned with you? A full car will also compromise your MPGs significantly. Also, since we've entered the colder months, fuel economy will be at its lowest for a while. You may not see great numbers until it warms, but you can make up for that come spring. Some of us use Fuelly to track MPGs. It's just an electronic way to keep a manual log.

I'm having a difficult time keeping the car in EV mode. Seems like once I hit 50, it automatically shifts to gas. Taking off and keeping the car in ev mode is almost impossible at least at this juncture.

Trying to keep it in EV mode is not necessarily a good thing. The car is designed to go back and forth at fairly optimal intervals, so just let it do its thing for now. Besides, where do you think all that energy in the battery comes from? The answer is gasoline. Just drive gently, and you'll get great results. Pushing the accelerator and/or the brake too hard just makes any car less efficient.

I have a '15. There is a lifetime MPG (effectively combined) displayed in Engage and Empower at least. When resetting Trip 1 and/or 2, this does not get reset. However it is my understanding it will get nailed during certain operations on the car ... like LVB (low-voltage battery) disconnect, etc.

You can view the MPG displayed in Engage/Empower as a lifetime display if you never reset it. But when Engage/Empower is displayed, simply holding the OK button on the left side steering wheel controls will reset that Engage/Empower MPG. I do that on a daily basis so that I can easily monitor my MPG score for the days errands.

Ok, so here's the plan:

This weekend, I'll fill up and reset everything. After that, will just reset the trip 1 screen with each fill up. Will also use Fuelly to track the information as well. I do know that each of my drives have averaged over 43 mpg. The average mileage on the car dash is like 36 at this point (Up from 23.7 when I bought the car).

That sounds like a good plan. Keep in mind that most of us on this forum experience 2.0-2.5 MPG inflation from the trip computers as compared to hand calculations (or Fuelly in your case). You are also entering low temperatures of winter which reduces your hybrid's MPG significantly.

Edited by Texasota

The ECO mode in most cars just changes the throttle response curve to help "lead foot" drivers. You get less power response from a given pedal movement. If you "floor it" in ECO you will still get max power. There may also be some other factors in the hybrid.