DrDeke

HVB Drain from 45% to 0% While Parked During Workday?

I had it happen once at about 74 K miles a few months ago in my 2010. I'm not sure it wasn't a software glitch instead of an actual discharge.

The HVB is about 1.35 Kwh. The level of charge should not change while the car is off The HVB is disconnected while the car is off. Are you certain you are turning car off ( dumb question, I know ). "H" is about 80% SOC and "L" is about 30%.

I think if the HVB relay failed closed, there might be a warning message. That's a bad situation and if I were Ford I would have put in a system to detect it. There are dozens of other monitors for far less important functions. That's just an opinion.

I know you didn't do this but part of this is what happens if you leave the car in accessory key position. The various loads in that mode on the 12 v system cause the DC to DC converter to draw the HVB down to the low HVB shutoff point which is considerably lower than the normal low point where the ICE starts. The 12 vdc battery would be dead in that case which was not your situation. You need to leave the car with Ford and get them to fix it under the hybrid warranty. The HVB should be completely disconnected with the key off. The HVB is either discharging internally or there is incorrect sensing. The fact that the car charges to the correct point and operates normally points to a bad HVB. Keep us up to date.

Next step is to go to the dealer tomorrow and give them a copy of the video and see what they say then :/.

I watched the video, and my 2010 FFH did that same thing probably a handful of times (maybe more, don't remember exactly) over the years, which was strange but no malfunction lights ever went off and all was fine afterward. That car currently has about 215k miles now and the HVB is still fine, so I'm curious to see if the dealer can find some type of internally stored error code in your car.

But thinking back I think my Prius did that now and then, first time it happened I was upset and said hey where did my charge go???

However the best/strangest was in 2014 when we were on a road trip to Florida in her Fusion Energi, we had driven down to FL for a week and so the 20-mile HVB was long long gone and we never plugged in during the week-long vacation - we stopped at Cracker Barrel in SC on the way back and when I started the car again to leave it showed 2 miles of EV range, which I thought was really really strange. But everything drive fine and once we finally got home it charged up fine and no problems, just a really strange occurrence.

So again I am curious as to whether they will find something in your car, but from my experience these cars have exhibited seemingly quirkly behavior in the past (like noted above and also the conditioning cycle which makes the ICE charge the HVB to where you think it's going to explode when experienced the first time), so unless some type of warning notice appears I don't worry too much about it when it happens.

The other thing as far as this being a normal glitch goes is that it has happened 8 times in the fewer-than-three months that I've owned the car. That comes out to every one and a half weeks on average, which nobody else seems to be experiencing.

Yeah I agree that seems pretty often, hopefully they find a good reason.

In the 2012 I don't think the rear seat folds down easily to reach the disconnect.

It wasn't easy in my 2010 until I read the first responder document and learned how to do it. It was very easy once I knew the procedure.

There are taps to move sideways in the top of the trunk and I don't know if I can see them. I've read that document also.

Everything looks normal except the low HVB at start. The temperature bulb Icon switches back to white from green in both videos but that might be normal in cold temperatures. I left the car in accessory mode overnight once and discharged the LVB to dead and the HVB to an even lower point than yours. That was the emergency HVB shutoff point. I had to jump the LVB but then the car started normally from the low HVB and charged normally. I think you'll have to leave it at the dealer. Maybe you'll get a new HVB under warranty.